Dashcam - mount under license plate?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericblz

Hi

Leasing a 2019 i3 Rex. I don't really want to tear things up inside but interested in a dashcam with minimal wires showing. Hiding the camera would be even better. Was thinking about mounting the camera in the bumper area under the frunk. Looks like there are open grills down there. I realize this might not bode well for the camera if I smash into somebody too hard!

Obviously I'd need a waterproof camera but wondering if tying into the power would be possible down there-I assume since the 12 V is within reach but I think the panel is under the glove box?

Last year I've bought a BlackVue DR590-1CH and was able to stick it on the window just behind the rear view mirror. I was able to completely hide the cabling behind the edge of the headliner, through the bottom of the dashboard to plug into the 12V socket under the dashboard.

tliet said:
Last year I've bought a BlackVue DR590-1CH and was able to stick it on the window just behind the rear view mirror. I was able to completely hide the cabling behind the edge of the headliner, through the bottom of the dashboard to plug into the 12V socket under the dashboard.

Sounds like a better install solution than having it mounted where the initial poster wanted to place his. Additionally, road grime from wet roads, dust, etc would get onto the lense if mounted low down and exposed like that.

Back