Upgrade dashboard trim to Wood

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph2004

Hi,
Wondering how I go about upgrading the trims to a wood effect?
Located in West Yorkshire, UK.
Many thanks

Andrew

I made a youtube video of the replacement process:

https://youtu.be/MdUlBTkXMsw

You will need a torx screw driver and a high quality trim removal tool. Both are very cheap tools. If you are familiar with the process it should take about 15 minuts.

The hard part is finding the trim pieces. I posted a link in the description of my video to an ebay seller in Europe.

Thank you, I did watch the video. Very interesting. You chose well, exactly same as I want for mine.
I'll look at the link and email them. Thanks again.

Andrew

You are welcome. In UK you might be able to get the parts from your BMW dealer. In US they cannot order them at least at this time. It used to be cheaper on ebay but it is becoming harder to find and prices have gone up. I think there could be a supply issue on BMW side.

A quote as in the cost of the parts? Or the labor?

The last time I searched the eucalyptus it was super scarce. There was a selection is oak, I recall a few hundred dollars. "Market price" would be the appropriate quote as I don't believe there's a single reliable source.

If you're looking for somebody to do the job for you, I'd check with a local body shop, maybe show them the video. It's literally a 10 minute job, 20 if they need to watch the video first and stop for coffee while walking to their tool box.

Cost from BMW was about £275 for the 3 pieces. Then about £170 I think for them to fit it. So well over £400 to change your Dashboard Trim.

Removing the existing trim and installing the wood trim is pretty easy to do. Using basic auto trim tools, it took me about 10 minutes to complete the removal and installation. The YouTube video mentioned on this thread was very useful and informative.

Hi All,
As stated, wood trim is hard to find. I assume LHD and RHD also plays a part?
Has anyone attempted to have their existing panel vinyl wrapped by a professional? Wouldn't have thought it would be too expensive, and probably some very decent vinyl around.
I might get a quote!
Cheers

I had a go at vinyl wrapping the dash trim. Results were surprisingly good. Cost £6 and about 4 hours time. First go at wrapping, so learning as I progressed.
Some of you may want to consider this. Even if you remove the panels and get s professional to wrap.

I would post a photo, but can't see how you do that here!

Back