De-badging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't appear that they're screwed in.

528.png

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1Z23&mospid=56090&btnr=51_9283&hg=51&fg=20

Heatgun and floss, and you're good to go!

If the badge attachment method is the regular adhesive tape type it is possible and very easy. I debadged my e39 540 and loved the clean look. However, the i3 rear with the mismatching surfaces and colors and all, would probably not look much cleaner and nicer without the badges. Plus we have to promote the cool new technology, right :D My view.

I de-badged mine, then changed my mind. Quite expensive.

IMG_20140830_084239.jpg

(All the badges on the rear glass are just stuck on with double-sided foam tape).

mrsmith said:
I de-badged mine, then changed my mind. Quite expensive.

IMG_20140830_084239.jpg
apparently you don't want to pull on the badges too hard.... But I wonder with less weight if you are eeking out a for more miles per charge?

Tempered glass is pretty strong stuff, but it only bends so far! Don't scratch things when trying to get all of the adhesive off if you do try to remove them...glass and scratches can be a recipe for disaster.

anytime you drill a hole into glass, you risk a crack starting there. ON tempered glass, you have to drill it before tempering, which would mean diverting the glass off the production line, to somewhere it can be drilled, then back to the tempering ovens...a lot of extra steps and transferring of pieces for not much of any gain...so much of the thing is already glued together, it would be out of character to screw it down IMHO.

It makes any car look "cleaner" IMHO, don't really care what anyone thinks it is or isn't. Just an aesthetic thing for me.

And I plan to add a vinyl wrap to advertise my business (www.MadScienceFun.com) and working the badges in to the design is something I'd rather avoid.

Fyi, i3 and active-e badges came off no problem just used some fishing line and adhesive remover. Very happy with the results.

I'm on the fence. I've always de-baged my cars, always. But the silver and blue badges on the back kind of go with the blue on the rest of the car.

Part of me even wants to remove the BMW badge back there, its HUGE. But I think it might make even more people ask "what kind of car is that?"

Anyone have pics of a de-badged i3?

Back