Anyone try this OnBoard bag?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vach

This bag:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4710/BMW-I-ONBOARD-BAG

Anyone buy this, or at least see it? I'm interested in making that front compartment waterproof and obviously store more things, but I am hesitant to spend this much money unless the thing is actually useful.

Anyone get one? Or just opinions in general?

I doubt it will store more things. as the hollow space is the limiting factor, and I don't see a lid on the thing or how it's waterproof vs. the original piece that's in there.

Why the frunk isn't waterproof is a complete mystery to me, except as a way to get another $100+ out of the car purchaser.

I just have each thing in its own ziploc bag. Kind of a crappy solution, but since my work and home has a L2 EVSE, I don't need to access the occasional charger that came with the car often, so it works for me.

I'm also using the ziplock approach but this bag seems interesting. It seems to protrude up beyond the compartment edge and maybe it fits snug with the frunk lid to make a splash proof enclosure... maybe. It'd be good is someone could try it and report, then maybe it'd be worth the price...

Schnort said:
I doubt it will store more things. as the hollow space is the limiting factor, and I don't see a lid on the thing or how it's waterproof vs. the original piece that's in there.

Why the frunk isn't waterproof is a complete mystery to me, except as a way to get another $100+ out of the car purchaser.

I just have each thing in its own ziploc bag. Kind of a crappy solution, but since my work and home has a L2 EVSE, I don't need to access the occasional charger that came with the car often, so it works for me.

That's what I am worried about, that it is basically useless, and a cost driven item. I am used to making things waterproof, as I used to commute exclusively on a motorcycle, but I would love to avoid standard methods like the bags. Although, I may simply resort to that for cost.

rtanov said:
I'm also using the ziplock approach but this bag seems interesting. It seems to protrude up beyond the compartment edge and maybe it fits snug with the frunk lid to make a splash proof enclosure... maybe. It'd be good is someone could try it and report, then maybe it'd be worth the price...

Right? That is exactly what I thought when I looked at it. It appears as it sticks up so much more than the original enclosure... which make not make sense. I may purchase it if I can return it and report back here unless someone else can say for sure.

Many of us have this bag - lots of photos and use cases on the Facebook group. The pictures of it from BMW don't do a good job of showing how it works. The top of it folds over and there's a velcro attachment to keep it closed. I would say it's more for splash protection than being waterproof, but that's all that's needed in the frunk.

Mine holds this tool kit: http://www.searsoutlet.com/56-pc-Ratcheting-Screwdriver-Set/d/product_details.jsp?pid=20966

Plus the following:
Dynaplug kit for tire repair
BMW air compressor
Pliers
An assortment of bungee straps
BMW L1 EVSE/OUC
30' 110V extension cord
20' JLONG J1772 extension cable

Probably a few smaller items I'm forgetting, but it's nice keeping all of this out of the trunk.

With all that said, the 40L "Overboard" bags on Amazon provide the same functionality (aside from slightly less capacity vs the BMW bag) and provide better protection from water. The BMW bag looks nicer, but it's only visible when you have the hood open anyway: http://www.amazon.com/OverBoard-Waterproof-Duffel-Yellow-40-Liter/dp/B004K6LY82/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Hey thanks i3atl! Do you have any pictures I can look at? I looked over the FaceBook group and I either didn't see them or I'm blind.

So would you say you are not worried about rain water getting on your stuff with the official bag?

Vach said:
Hey thanks i3atl! Do you have any pictures I can look at? I looked over the FaceBook group and I either didn't see them or I'm blind.

So would you say you are not worried about rain water getting on your stuff with the official bag?
I'm not worried at all about rain getting in there, but I wouldn't spray a hose directly on the bag near the opening and expect it to keep everything completely dry. The hood prevents any significant amount of water from getting there in the first place, though.

Here's an alternative method using plastic bins - inexpensive but wastes a lot of space: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/permalink/750724175001446/

This post has some pics of the bag (with lots of free space) in use down in the comments: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/permalink/718814041525793/

Perfect! Thanks so much for your help. That is exactly what I wanted to know; I'll pick one up the next time I'm at the dealership.

Tom has a picture of his after being exposed to salt and what not on his blog. It really makes a bag look like a good idea.
Frunk1.jpg

I got one after I saw it in a friend's Electronaut Edition. The organization you get with the built-in dividers sold me. Shop around online, you can get it for less than the recommended retail price.

stumbledotcom said:
I got one after I saw it in a friend's Electronaut Edition. The organization you get with the built-in dividers sold me. Shop around online, you can get it for less than the recommended retail price.
I just looked for a bit and couldn't find any place that looked reputable selling it for less than the $150 standard price.

Any tips on where people have found a good deal on this?

Right now I'm seeing 103$ on the official BMW website. Ordering it from there tomorrow.

The frunk is definitely not weather-proof, and the bag is a tidy accessory. I’ve used the ice scraper so often this winter that I stow it behind the bag inside the frunk — much quicker to retrieve.

i3onboardbag_icescraper.png

SSi3 said:
What comes with the i bag? Any tools? Gloves?
According to the description I read you get the bag, the divider, and "genuine" BMW work gloves.

My dealership has complimentary car washes and a free cafe. I think I'm going there Saturday morning for a wash, an omelet and pick up a bag. I believe they have it for $103 also.

Update: Got it. And because I got my car there I got a 10% discount so it was under $100 including tax.

Back