Installing after market backup camera

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewaynek

We have had our 2014 BEV for 3 weeks and are really enjoying this marvelous piece of technology!

The one option we wanted but do not have is a backup camera. So, as I have down with previous vehicles, I am installing one. After searching here and on Google I have been unable to find any detailed wiring diagrams, which is not surprising for a new vehicle.

I am hoping that someone can help me identify the wire for the backup lamp from this photo:
http://imgur.com/IkXtpYS

Do you have a multimeter?

FWIW, on many BMW vehicles, there isn't a simple direct connection to a specific thing like a lamp. IOW, they tend to multiplex some of the signals, and put a small circuit board at the point of use. This means that they can supply power to more things at once, and use smaller ones to signal the board to tell it what to do and where to apply that actual power. This is one reason why there is a delay between your actual pressing a button and the function occurring...there are computers in between and logic boards. The backup light circuit may not be able to handle any more current than the anticipated bulb, if you can find where that is actually switched.

Be interesting to hear how you make out. I know it was not very simple dealing with my other BMW on a similar endeavor.

Keep in mind what functions are available in the rear panel:
- brake light
- (often, on a BMW, a separate line for the center brake light)
- running light (may be common with the license plate lamps)
- turn signal
- fog light (not utilized in the USA, but can be by swapping the switch and coding no additional wiring required)
- system ground
- backup lamps

That's more lines than shown in that plug, which is why I stated there may not be a dedicated line for just the backup lamps.

Someone on the Facebook group added a backup camera last year, but I'm unable to find the link to his post/details.

BimmerTech is considering making a retrofit kit using the factory components as well - if you're interested please email them at [email protected] - they've made similar kits for other BMW models.

I would also be interested in adding the camera (and front sensors to get park assist) as the vehicle I'll be collecting ASAP doesn't have this either.

Would be interested to hear what response you get from BimmerTech and whether it needs more people to mail them about it!

Curious, has anyone made any progress on the backup camera retrofit? Hoping my i3 arrives in 10 days, would like to add the camera option.

:D

jacqueusi said:
Curious, has anyone made any progress on the backup camera retrofit? Hoping my i3 arrives in 10 days, would like to add the camera option.

:D
I'm also interested to know if anyone has installed a solution and how well it works. Any updates?

I was not able to get the camera to turn on when placed in reverse so I installed a switch to turn it on whenever it is needed.

As it turns out the camera is rarely needed.

Just wanted to let you guys know, after about 6 mos of owning a used 2014 i3 I was able to successfully get a backup camera installed for less than $600 US in Los Angeles. It's fantastic, and uses the i3's monitor as display. Automatically comes on when reversing, has working steering/parking lines, and even works with the i3's stock distance sensors (shows on the screen with markers potential hazards the car can hit). The company that makes the interface kit is NavTV (https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT717/bmw12n-dynamic-kit.html).

This is certainly much more affordable than the $2200 option dealers were telling me to install with the OEM version.

-drew

helmethair3000 said:
Just wanted to let you guys know, after about 6 mos of owning a used 2014 i3 I was able to successfully get a backup camera installed for less than $600 US in Los Angeles. It's fantastic, and uses the i3's monitor as display. Automatically comes on when reversing, has working steering/parking lines, and even works with the i3's stock distance sensors (shows on the screen with markers potential hazards the car can hit). The company that makes the interface kit is NavTV (https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT717/bmw12n-dynamic-kit.html).

This is certainly much more affordable than the $2200 option dealers were telling me to install with the OEM version.

-drew
Just stumbled upon your post. The product page you linked says it only works for 2015-2016 i3s. Did you actually get it to work on a 2014 i3? Also, there are two versions: NTV-KIT717 and NTV-KIT725. Which one did you use? You wouldn't happen to have any pics or videos of your retrofit in action, would you? Thanks in advance! :)

helmethair3000 said:

-drew

Was it easy to install? or did you have someone else put it in?

Just had my 2015 i3 Rex fitted with Bimmer-Tech's 1st front & rear parking cameras fully intergrated into the i-drive system & displayed on the 12.25" screen. Works well & kit fitted by a local autoelectrician here in NZ. Kit shipped ex Bimmer-Tech in Poland. :D

helmethair3000 said:

-drew

Hey Drew.

I live in LA. Where did you get your backup camera installed for less than 600? Also, how? The Navi equipment is at already at $599

Last year I picked up a Good Sam (Rand McNally) 7735 GPS. It has a 7" screen. I knew it had a video input but never got around to using it until recently. Thought I would list what I bought to add a rear view camera to it. I know it would be more convenient to have a permanent mount, but I don't want another camera sitting out in the elements 24x7 and eventually losing its seal, so I used the large suction mount I wasn't using that came with my GPS. I added a safety strap in case it lost its grip but so far some very rough roads haven't made it come loose. It is mounted to my trailer's rear window.

Good Sam - Rand McNally 7735 GPS (Camping World)
20FT GPS Camera Video Cable 2.5mm Aux to RCA AV-IN Adapter (Amazon) https://wheelstips.com/best-rear-view-camera
Pioneer Backup Camera ND-BC8 (Best Buy)
10' RCA video cable (Best Buy)

The Pioneer camera came with 33' of cable that reaches up to the hitch area. The GPS video adapter cable has 20' of cable that reaches from my truck's dash to the hitch. Then the 10' RCA cable is used to connect those 2 cables together when hitched.

Back