Snap-in USB Smartphone adapter for Google Nexus 5 or 6?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeEyes

Re the adapters at http://www.shopbmwusa.com/BLUETOOTH-SNAPIN-ADAPTERS-CONTROL does anyone know where there is a full list or if any are compatible with the Google Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 smartphones? Perhaps the Samsung Galaxy would fit, as it has the same micro USB socket at the central base of the phone?

From what I understand the snap-in adapters only connect power and an external antenna. They do not connect to the USB connection. Also, without knowing what part of the world you are in the receiver for the snap-in adapter might not even be there.

Thanks. Los Angeles?

I'm sure I remember reading on their website that it allows you to play music through the USB connection. Seems like a strange function not to include.

Either way my question remains...

There is a USB port you can connect to under the armrest. I think the snap-in adapter is completely unnecessary and I doubt BMW will make more of them. Judging by the selection they already stopped making new models years ago.

FWIW, the snap-in adapters also inductively couple the antenna to the one on the roof, which can make your cellular signal strength considerably better. It's not just a place to hold the phone. Now, depending on where you live and where you drive, it may or may not make much difference...but, in some areas, the difference at least could be dramatic.

Thanks. I guess my only question now is where the heck can we buy them? Seems simple enough as they're listed on BMW's website, but the dealer I did a test drive with yesterday had never even heard of such a contraption.

The snap-in adaptors do not work with the North American spec i3. The adaptor requires a power/antenna connection inside the armrest, which is a unique option and part number that BMW NA doesn't offer. Another member found both part numbers/diagrams in BMW AG documentation. You might want to search for the prior thread if you're really curious.

The snap-in adaptors are out-dated technology at this point. They were an attempt to standardize the phone/car interface. The notion was that a new phone would only require a new snap-in adaptor. But time has proven that bluetooth and/or a standard USB port that works with your phone's included cable makes more sense.

stumbledotcom said:
The snap-in adaptors are out-dated technology at this point. They were an attempt to standardize the phone/car interface. The notion was that a new phone would only require a new snap-in adaptor. But time has proven that bluetooth and/or a standard USB port that works with your phone's included cable makes more sense.

Well here in europe we now have universal snap in adapters (http://www.baum-bmwshop24.de/BMW-Snap-in-Adapter/Snap-In-Adapter-Connect-Universal.html)

You can get one with a microUSB or lightning connector. Though the MicroUSB one will work fine with iOS devices using the MicroUSB to lightning adapter that Apple also only sells in europe (http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter).

The antenna coupling using the external antenna on the car is the main advantage of the snap-in. I use a universal snap in adapter with a Category 4 LTE hotspot (which is faster than BMW's Category 3 that they charge €1,000 for) and thanks to the external antenna it keeps a solid 150mbit LTE connection on the motorway serving all the devices in the car.

Clearly you must have added the enhanced bluetooth option but do you know whether the wiring for the antenna is in the armrest if you didn't order the Enhanced bluetooth ?

BoMW said:
Clearly you must have added the enhanced bluetooth option but do you know whether the wiring for the antenna is in the armrest if you didn't order the Enhanced bluetooth ?

I did, it's not and in fact you need to replace the entire armrest to add it.

Back