Retrofit Sunroof

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RExingIT

So I was perusing the parts catalog on the BMW of Bridgewater site and noticed that they appear to have all the parts for the i3's sliding sunroom.

I know it would be prohibitively expensive to do so, but any ideas on the feasability of retrofitting a US spec vehicle with said sunroof?

Crazy thought, I know, but it piqued my curiosity.

RExingIT said:
So I was perusing the parts catalog on the BMW of Bridgewater site and noticed that they appear to have all the parts for the i3's sliding sunroom.

I know it would be prohibitively expensive to do so, but any ideas on the feasability of retrofitting a US spec vehicle with said sunroof?

Crazy thought, I know, but it piqued my curiosity.

I don't think it would be possible. I believe the roof on the i3s with the moonroof have more structural supports to accommodate the added weight of the moonroof. OK, I guess it's physically possible to do it, but as you said prohibitively expensive, and I doubt any BMW center would even do it.

The reason the sunroof is not offered in the USA is that the car cannot be legally sold as the federal requirements dictate that there be metal reinforcement around the cutout, which the roof does not have where sold. It doesn't really matter than the CFRP may be stronger than the steel in other applications...the rule stands, and hasn't been updated to support vehicles like this.

Personally, I was both surprised and pleased that the sunroof didn't make it into the USA vehicles...the headroom is marginal for me now, and with a (mandatory) sunroof which was planned for all versions other than base in the USA originally, I either would not have been able to get it configured the way I wanted, or would have had to deal with less than optimal room. The incorporation of a sunroof on many models often is the dividing point between being acceptable as a daily driver for me, verses not fitting at all.

jadnashuanh said:
Personally, I was both surprised and pleased that the sunroof didn't make it into the USA vehicles...the headroom is marginal for me now, and with a (mandatory) sunroof which was planned for all versions other than base in the USA originally, I either would not have been able to get it configured the way I wanted, or would have had to deal with less than optimal room. The incorporation of a sunroof on many models often is the dividing point between being acceptable as a daily driver for me, verses not fitting at all.

I am 6ft 3", have the seat adjusted to near maximum height and have not managed to touch the ceiling in my i3, which has the fitted sunroof. I realise that the option not only adds $1300 but also additional weight however on the occasional sunny day that we get here in the UK, the ability to open and release the hot air from the cabin is more than worth the draw backs.

Body shapes and proportions can play a big part on how well anyone fits into a car. Sitting on a hard surface, it's nearly 39" to the top of my head, not counting that it's uncomfortable to have your hair rub on the roof...few cars have the required headroom for the seat where I want it so I can reach the pedals and the steering wheel. With the seat all the way down, when I look straight ahead, I'm looking slightly above the middle of the rear-view mirror (IOW, I have to duck to see around the mirror). I do not like sunroofs!

Back