Charging while driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevelapp

A few years back when the prius first came out, 2001, I installed high efficiency photovoltaics on my prius roof and was able to charge the HV battery while driving. I don't want a discussion about whether that was a useful idea, it was just a nice project to help my solar consulting business, and I did get 2.8 l/100km on sunny days for short trips!! I am now wondering if anyone knows enough about the I3 DC HV bus to know what would happen if you injected current controlled 450 VDC approx. DC into the bus. The prius accepted up to about 10 amps at 300 VDC with no issues. I know there are BMU's and other battery management devices, so understanding what they are monitoring and managing is obviously the key here. If anyone has the DC bus schematics, that might help. Alternatively, could the ac charger circuit be made to work while driving, and then use an AC input source? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The car has interlocks that won't let you get it out of park with what it thinks is an EVSE or CCS plug attached, so you'd have to fool it somehow. For emulating an EVSE or CCS unit, it's a bit more than just applying power, there are control signals involved with a specific protocol that differs between CCS and EVSE (acv) charging. So, it could get messy bypassing most of the protection circuits. I've not seen the detailed schematics, so cannot help there, but trying to use the normal charging port is probably not viable.

Thanks for the great pdf, very informative, and gave me some ideas. Where can I get that level of pdf for the I3, or is that top secret!

It makes me think tying into the DC from the range extender could be the way to go. Still lots of thinking to do.

Thanks

As you already know there is almost no benefit - just mount the panel for show and leave the wiring alone to prevent problems.

REgards

Back