No Anti-Sway / Stabilizer Bar in the rear of the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiphile

Our i3 doesn't come with a rear stabilizer bar, and I can really feel that in turns, especially if the pavement is rough. After years of owning other Bimmers and Volkswagens, this is the one thing that really irks me about the i3. I don't feel the car is planted and thus cannot take my usual twisties with confidence.

Obviously having springs with a higher spring rate would partially negate the need for a rear anti-sway bar, but I do enjoy the plush ride and didn't want to completely ruin it.

Any thoughts? Specifically any aftermarket solution for the rear sway set up or your experiences with higher-rate springs?

The car is fairly tall, but the CG is low. It actually goes around corners pretty well. Mounting a sway bar back there could be problematic finding suitable fastening points. You might look into what was done for the 2016 version with the handling package. Some of that MIGHT be retrofitted. I have not seen what they actually did for that package, and the first models with it are probably not in the USA yet (production started 11/15/2015).

Just bought an i3s and was trying to toss it around (in a safe place) and realized that it under-steers like crazy. Only think that could address this is stiffer spring rates in the rear or a rear sway bar. Springs would ruin the car imo. Has anyone heard of a solution?

Keep us updated if you try changing the stance. I went 40mm wider and dropped an 1” on AST. Try mounting a wicker bill on rear spoiler!

roboderp said:
Just bought an i3s and was trying to toss it around (in a safe place) and realized that it under-steers like crazy. Only think that could address this is stiffer spring rates in the rear or a rear sway bar. Springs would ruin the car imo. Has anyone heard of a solution?
If you don't want to go stiffer, you can always go softer.

If you soften the front anti-sway bar, you achieve the same balancing effect as going stiffer in the rear. Softening it would also obviously not increase stress on mounting points.

Back