ian4x4

Re: Install Thule roof rack tracks

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Carbon fiber laminates with different fiber alignments are then arranged into stacks made up of several layers and following various lines, before being cut to shape. These stacks form the base material for the production of CFRP parts and components at the BMW facilities in Landshut and Leipzig. Scrap CFRP is recycled in Wackersdorf and subsequently channelled back into use – in roof of the BMW i models, for example. Currently, around 10 percent of the carbon fibere used in the BMW i3 is recycled material

http://www.compositesworld.com/news/bmw ... d-assembly

It seems to say that the roof is unstressed.

imolazhp

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:48 pm

ian4x4 wrote:Carbon fiber laminates with different fiber alignments are then arranged into stacks made up of several layers and following various lines, before being cut to shape. These stacks form the base material for the production of CFRP parts and components at the BMW facilities in Landshut and Leipzig. Scrap CFRP is recycled in Wackersdorf and subsequently channelled back into use – in roof of the BMW i models, for example. Currently, around 10 percent of the carbon fibere used in the BMW i3 is recycled material

http://www.compositesworld.com/news/bmw ... d-assembly

It seems to say that the roof is unstressed.
Drill baby drill!

If it's safe.

jadnashuanh

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:30 pm

The scraps are from cutoffs before curing, and placed in positions that were engineered to be able to accept them...I think it's risky to drill into the roof of the i3. Plus, do you really want new holes in your roof?
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

CARiD

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:36 am

Looks likr the roof rack on the original link is universal and designed for regular cars with metal roof, so it's a bad idea to use it on a CF roof.
I am sure Thule roof racks will come up with a custom fit variant designed for i3, it's just the question of time.
Last edited by CARiD on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jadnashuanh

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:38 pm

CARiD wrote:Looks likr the roof rack on the original link is universal and designed for regular cars with metal roof, so it's a bad idea to use it on a CF roof.
I am sure Thule will come up with a custom fit variant designed for i3, it's just the question of time.
The fact that the coverings around the CFRP roof are flexible plastic means a clamp-on device is not likely to work very well, so I'm not sure that will happen!
Jim DeBruycker

electrons

Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:31 am

bencpeters wrote:I'm very interested in getting an I3, but need to be able to put a roof box on it for transporting skis in the winter. I was dismayed to learn that there are no roof rack options available "out of the box" for the car,
Ski trips in an i3? RWD, in snow/ice, up mountains, with 70 miles range. Backup power is 30 hp at the wheels, so not much for going up mountains. Plus, who wants to drill into a leased car's roof?

psquare

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:02 am

I'm closing in on a purchase of a Thule Raceway for our ICE car. I am wondering whether it could also be fitted on our i3. I checked the Thule Buyer's Guide and i3 is not amongst the BMW models in the dropdown, which could mean that the vehicle is not supported by the Raceway, probably due to the pressure on the glass tailback.

Anyway ... here is a link:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products ... -_-1685473

bencpeters

Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm

electrons wrote: Ski trips in an i3? RWD, in snow/ice, up mountains, with 70 miles range. Backup power is 30 hp at the wheels, so not much for going up mountains. Plus, who wants to drill into a leased car's roof?
Not all of us live so far from mountains... Skiing for me is only 10-20 minutes of driving depending on which trail head I go to, and doesn't have to involve steep roads. Plus, I ski almost every day in the winter and only a relatively small fraction of days actually have appreciable snow (anything under 6" or so I find is very manageable with RWD and good snow tires if you know how to drive on snow).

I own my i3, so no worries about drilling into a leased car... just worried about safety/long term damage.

Gif

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:55 pm

I may have misunderstood but while discussing sunroof weight, I thought my iGenius mentioned the new model CF roof panel was being replaced with aluminium. Don't take that as gospel though.

jadnashuanh

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Federal safety requirements in the USA require a vehicle with a sunroof to have metal reinforcements in the roof. Not sure how BMW solves that issue, but they could embed some aluminum in the CFRP...will have to wait to see.

Anyone in Europe with a sunroof? What does the roof look like? Can you see the fiber pattern in the roof?
Jim DeBruycker

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”