tpaxadpom

Re: Traffic jam assist retro

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:13 pm

czarmar wrote:The Quidzel hands on detection emulator is brand new, but the simplicity of install/uninstall and no nag is probably the two key differentiators. Both modules do relatively the same thing.
I helped the guy to code his car after he installed Quidzel module. There were numbers of cafs missing, but I was able to source them. What is strange is that he gets ACC and TJA errors. Did you have to do anything other than add 5AR to VO and VO code all ECUs?
I saw your post on page 8 about getting ACC error but that was prior to having the emulator installed and programming SAS. I suggested him to remove the module to see if the behavior changes. Did the car had to go to sleep or did you have to clear errors manually?
It should be a pretty straight forward process, but I am thinking something is wrong with the module or the installation. Though since I have never done this retrofit previously I am not sure if coding instructions are complete (they seem so though).

czarmar

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Email quidzel if there’s an issue. If you have Rheingold, look for steering wheel touch Lin slave missing. Quidzel tries to respond pretty quick..

tpaxadpom

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 am

Thank you for your reply. We e-mailed the seller and he is shipping a replacement. The module is either not properly programmer or has hw issues. There were several errors including LIN bus related to that and he concluded the module is likely dead.

BluetoothBobby

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 pm

shehadehd wrote:
boomerE30 wrote:Excellent! So my understanding is that the self driving system remains OEM while being able to take out the "annoying" part - the requirement of having the wheel on the steering wheel.

One last thing, Bimmercode app allows to code the TAJ to operate at a higher speed (76km I think?) as well as to code it to operate on back roads. Seeing that you are not changing anything, this should be possible to code I suppose?
I am currently working on a write-up to allow you to enable TJA via bimmercode rather than having to get a hold of e-sys. However, there are a couple ECUs that bimmercode doesn't appear to support and so I'm trying to figure out if it's even doable. But to answer your question, yes, you can code those changes.

I have played around with enabling TJA on back roads. it works, but usually back roads have thinner lanes and the TJA system will complain about them (it also really hates intersections). However, on service roads, it works just fine.
I've also played around with enabling it for, effectively, all speeds (up to 99mph) and I do NOT recommend it over 45ish mph. It appears that the controller have been tuned specifically for low speeds and the update-rate isn't fast enough to make minor adjustments at high speed and so the car oscillates back and forth within the lane. It also will not be able to track through larger bends and veers out of its lane. Basically, it's much more stressful at high speeds than just driving yourself lol.

Can you provide details on how to enable TJA for all speeds and backroads?

Thanks

Ron

czarmar

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Quote courtesy of Guy Mayhew on the i3 FB page...
All roads is:
ICM/3000/C_STA_Einschraenkung - set to "keine Einschränkung" to make it work on all roads

Max speed is:
ICM/3000/CQalcRel_v_Tacho_akitv_mph - set to the max speed you want in hex - I used 0x64 = 70 mph

tpaxadpom

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 pm

czarmar wrote:Quote courtesy of Guy Mayhew on the i3 FB page...
All roads is:
ICM/3000/C_STA_Einschraenkung - set to "keine Einschränkung" to make it work on all roads

Max speed is:
ICM/3000/CQalcRel_v_Tacho_akitv_mph - set to the max speed you want in hex - I used 0x64 = 70 mph
Actually these parameters are wrong for i3. I coded Ron's car today. i3 doesn't have ICM module. Here is what one need to change in i3.
to disable interstate only:
SAS/3000/LDM_STA_Einschraenkung - set to "keine Einschraenkung"
to disable max speed:
SAS/3000/LDM_QalcgRel_v_Tacho_aktiv_kmh - change hex value to "63" (0x63 = 99 in decimal = 99kmh). You can change hex value to whatever you want to. The default setting is 60kmh.
SAS/3000/LDM_QalcgRel_v_Tacho_aktiv_mph - change hex value to "3E" (0x3E = 62 in decimal = 62mph). You can change hex value to whatever you want to. The default setting is 35mph.

BTW after emulator replacement the TJA is working fine.

gsr2k

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 am

Has anyone coded a new 2018 i3sport yet? I really want to add TJA to this car, but want to make sure i’m not wasting my time.

sr3jan

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 pm

I just had my car serviced and the dealer updated the software to the latest version. After that I installed the Quidzel module and attempted to add 5AR. All seemed to go OK however I don't get the steering wheel icon on the cluster - only the side markers and the car doesn't steer. See photo: https://imgur.com/MRxpn5a

I also get this weird message:
https://imgur.com/a/AAVJ8

RGloverii

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm

That looks right to me. You’ve got the system active from BMW’s point of view.

In order for the steering wheel to appear, the right conditions must be met:
-Driving on a street or freeway with visible lane markers
-A car must be in front of you for your car to follow
-You must be driving no faster than the speed you programmed for TJA. By default, 35MPH or less. I don’t suggest using it any faster than 45.
-The system of course must be turned on.

When all conditions are met, the icon appears, and the system is steering.

czarmar

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:14 pm

I think you should look at what the max speed is set to - you normally wouldn’t get weird characters for the speed TJA would work to..

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”