Chargers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadracer1977

Hiya,

I'm sure there's a long post about chargers somewhere...
However, I've just ordered 2x REx 94Ah i3's :shock: one for me (protonic blue) and one for the mrs (fluid black) :p

I've not really considered the best charging solutions (yet) though! LOL!

Can someone give me any ideas about best chargers, I seem to remember reading the BMW ones aren't all that good...

Thanks!

Just to start the discussion on a better foot, the charger of your two just ordered i3 are already in the car. What you are referring to, the box on the wall with the wire and the plug, just bring the electric power to the inside charger. They are called EVSE and they are not the charger ( the charger is what takes the AC current in your home and rectify it into DC current to charge your batteries ) The EVSE is supposed to monitor your electricity usage of your inside charger for safety issue, like a bad connection, a broken wire etc .

After that, to be able to discuss preferences for your EVSE, we need to know where you are located. Different countries means different power supply at the plugs. Wich means different better choice depending of your country

Louis

( There is some outside charger, the one that charge your cars in 25 minutes, but this is not what you are talking about.)

okay cool - so I'm based in the UK...

So I need to look up EVSE's then...? What's the general consensus on those and installers in the UK?

I'm in the states. I bought a Siemans. It lets me delay the start time on the unit in increments of 2 hours, up to an 8 hour delay. This option relieves me of putting the start time in the car. Purchased through Amazon. I had an electrician install the 40 amp breaker and receptacle and I mounted the Siemans on the wall. Very simple.

There are many units to choose from. Sounds like you have time to search. DYODD.

Here's some info ....

http://extranet.w3.siemens.com/us/internet-dms/btlv/Residential/Residential/docs_Home/SIE_IM_VersiCharge.pdf

Being in the UK, you probably have at least a couple of choices that are subsidized by your local electrical utility company...I'd look into what they have available first. IF you have enough spare power coming into your home, right now, as far as I can tell, the i3 is maxed out at 7.4Kw, which is about 32A with your typical acv power input. Some have implied that the 94ah version of the i3 has a larger internal charging circuit, but some other sources say it takes longer to charge than the smaller unit, so that implies it's the same. It doesn't hurt to have a larger EVSE, as the car will only use what it wants, sort of like plugging in a 50W light bulb into a circuit that could also support an electrical space heater drawing 1,500W...there's a signal from the EVSE that tells the vehicle how much power it can safely supply, then the vehicle decides how much, up to that limit, it wants to use. IOW, an EVSE that is larger than your vehicle can use won't hurt anything, but it won't cause the vehicle to charge any faster.

The other things to consider are whether you want a tethered cable, and how long it would need to be to reach your vehicle. Many, but not all, EVSEs are rated for external installation, but the installed cost is a bit more because of the way they need to be wired verses using the same thing internally in a structure.

Some of the EVSEs have extra features like WiFi or Ethernet connectivity, that let you monitor and control the operation. SOme have an internal meter to show you the amount of power used. A basic one just has a few idiot lights to tell you if it is powered, charging, or there's a fault.

Roadracer1977 said:
okay cool - so I'm based in the UK...

So I need to look up EVSE's then...? What's the general consensus on those and installers in the UK?
Not had chance to use it in anger yet but I've had a Rolec 32a 5m tethered installed inside by http://www.chargedev.co.uk and it was pretty painless. £330 was the cost to me. They installed within 10 days and did a pretty tidy job to my requirements.

I borrowed a 2016 Rex from BMW last weekend and it charged just dandy. Pulled just over 7kw from the unit without any problems. Tested the car on immediate and delayed charging and it all worked exactly as expected.

What I would say is that even with the 5m cable and the unit installed immediately inside the garage door, you still don't have much room to play with. I therefore made sure I installed it on the same side as the charge port when the car is reversed up the driveway thus minimising the distance between the two.

Oh and if you do use them make sure you complete the OLEV application process correctly on their website. I messed it up somehow and ordered one direct the first time. They sorted it out for me though.

Hi Roadracer1977,

Take a look at the Andersen A1 premium home charge points. They are powerful, look stylish and avoid cable mess altogether when charging your i3. The charging station is also available in different colours and configurations.

Below are a few pictures and here is their website: https://andersen-ev.com

Andersen-Premium-Charging-Stations.jpg

A1-front-house-full.jpg

In some markets, the charging cable is tethered to the EVSE (all are like that in the USA), but on others, you use what amounts to an extension cord and plug it into both the box and the car. There are advantages and disadvantages to either, and when you have a choice, you need to decide which will work out best for you. To me, having a cable tethered to the EVSE seems both easier and faster and is one less thing to misplace, get stolen, or break from constant insertion/removals.

Back