Which fuse to tap for wiring a dashcam?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same question, but I think the answer is even simpler. As the picture in this post shows http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1852, there is both a "switched" and an "unswitched" terminal available on the fused panel. I think you can used the "unswitched" terminal to get a constant 12V feed (provided your dashcam has fuses in its harwire kit), and the "switched" terminal to get power when the car is "on". I'm going to measure these terminals with a multi-meter (grounding on the block where the twist-screw to keep the panel closed is) to verify their behavior. Using those terminal avoids having to get a fuse-tap or otherwise mess with the actual fuses in the car.

Just verified via a multi-meter that the unswitched terminal has ~14v at all times (I didn't wait 20 minutes to see if it dropped, btw) and the switched terminal has ~14v when the car is in accessory mode or ready mode, else it has ~0v on it.

What kind of connectors did you use to connect to the switched terminals? The tips of the terminals don't seem to accept a standard connector. All I can see is a small hole at the tip of the plastic towers. Thanks.

This below is a simple way -

The fuse to use is number 51, it is an ignition-switched fuse which is originally for the outside speaker to make fake engine noises.

You can use one of those "add-a-circuit" thing to add a fuse there.

The fuse size is "mini", not micro or regular.

Back