move reversing lamps to the top set of tail-lights.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KolorMeCarbon

Does anyone know what function illuminates the white lamps in the tailgate’s light-cluster?

In my UK model BEV ( and my wife’s ReX), only the lower pair of lamps illuminate when reversing.

I want to black-out the lower set of lamps and use the white LEDs in the tailgate lamps for the reversing lights.

Are the top set of white lamps redundant or are they fog-lamps?

At least in the USA, white fog lamps on the rear would be illegal. I understand that the rear panel on the i3 does contain fog lamps, but the switch and programming for it is not in the USA versions. No idea what that set of lights is designed for. Have you checked the user's manual?

If you might drive with the rear tailgate open (e.g., to carry a long load), you would no longer have visible rear brake lights because when the tailgate is open, the lower lights in the bumper become normal brake lights (and possibly, turn signals). I have appreciated this thoughtful feature on several occasions.

KolorMeCarbon said:
Are the top set of white lamps redundant or are they fog-lamps?
I doubt that rear-facing white lights would be fog lights. In Germany, rear-facing fog lights have red lenses.

Thanks for the replies.
I found the lamp units in my UK- model tailgate panel are indicators that have white LED bulbs (they illuminate amber/orange).

I’m going to tint the main part of the lower lights with dark-black tint for most of the lens, but use lighter tint for the ‘legality’ bits. Easy with v-sharp scalpel.

Use vinyl that has opacity to it, as long as you have a backup camera you'll be fine. I have done this to two i3's.

thanks for the suggestion. I vinyl wrapped the lower lamp units, they’re almost invisible on the black car, but still plenty of light intensity for reversing.
No rewiring required.

Back