non-OEM Brake pads

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldman42

Has anybody changed their brake pads to anything other than OEM BMW pads? If so, what did you choose? I'm having a hard time finding quality listings on Amazon (US). But I was able to cross reference some parts with Mini Coopers. Piggy back question; do the base Cooper and i3 share common parts?

Last I looked, mine had not worn much, and they won't if you use regen much. But, the OEM BMW pads do dust up the wheels more than some of the OEM ones available, so might have a benefit when trying to keep the wheels clean.

theothertom said:
Just curious as to why anyone needs to change their brake pads ? Do you track your i3?

While I am a "spirited" driver, I highly doubt I *need* to change my pads at this point (33k miles, though, I haven't opened things up to check), due to the aggressive regen characteristics of this car, etc.
The reason I ask is, my brakes creak a lot. When the car comes to a rest or lightly depressing the brake pedal, even releasing the brake pedal from a stop, and other scenarios will cause noise, and it bothers me :? maybe it's just me, something I'm sensitive to. I've read that the brake discs frequently develop a film of rust, again, due to the low usage with the regen, but I live in California, therefore, very little rain and no other harsh winter conditions, etc. Visually, don't seem to be much tarnish on the discs on any given day. I'm not sure what the OEM pads are made of, but when I switch to ceramic pads in other cars i've owned, that greatly reduced brake noise. Anyway, just wanted to kick around the idea and get feedback from the community.

Thanks for the input so far.

Anyone know if Mini Cooper parts are meant to be interchangeable with the i3?

Thanks for the clarification
Regarding brake noise, yes, mine squeak/creak also. I've always assumed all cars are like this but you notice it more on an EV because there's no engine noise to mask the brake noise. :)

When safely away from other vehicles, when you notice that issue, do a couple of panic stops from high speed...it should clean the rotors up and give you time when they are quiet again. The OEM pads tend to leave a funky dust on the wheels, so some aftermarket pads may be better in that respect, but neither one will be quiet if the rotor is funky. Even in dry CA, all it needs is a little dew in the morning to have enough moisture to affect the rotors. My driveway is fairly long and the end is fairly steep. When I leave after just charging the i3, since there's no room in the battery for regen to go someplace, the car uses the actual brakes...I definitely notice the sound of my rotors not being smooth, but if I actually use the brakes a bit, they get quiet again.

I had to take a rear wheel off to fix a flat. The pads looked new at 18k miles. Not even brake dust.

Back