Brake light on driver indication

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3Alan

Anyone know a way to see the brake lights come on and off? I'm thinking perhaps a small, narrow light deflector somewhere on the high center light that pokes down below the top of the rear window, to glow red at the bottom through the rear window when the top of it is illuminated red by the brake light.

I tried slipping a thin piece of plastic off a milk gallon jug between the rear light and the spoiler it is mounted in. However, there is no light that gets through the bottom of the lens where I inserted the plastic. I pressed the plastic piece (about ½" wide) in front of one of the brake LEDs, but I could tell it would not deflect enough light to be seen in the rear view mirror. I think it will take some kind of light pipe designed to capture and reflect the light.

I am open to any ideas that might provide me with a brake light indicator while driving. If there is easy access to the power leads without damaging the car, I'm open to an electrical tapping circuit I could build. Finding a monster truck with a huge mirrored front bumper to keep tailgating me isn't what I'm looking for!

Any ideas for a driver's indicator of the brake lights?

OzRob said:
One question. Why?
In a conventional car, when the brake pedal is pressed much at all, the brake lights are on. In the i3, it is very difficult for the driver to know if the brake lights are on unless they are using strong regen and/or the brake pedal. I know the brake lights come on when the regen is about at the "C" on the charge/discharge scale, but I want to know when, and not about when!

Back