Have smaller 6" screen anyway to upgrade to 9" screen?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3Hawaii

Hello,
First time poster here. :)
Right now I have the smaller 6" screen with the large black plastic sides. Does anyone know if the larger premium 9" screen is just a "plug and play"? Or do you know if there is a easy way to upgrade to the larger full size edge to edge screen?

I have this:
BMW-i3-011-1024x650.jpg

I want this:
bmw_iE3_870x420a.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or has done this before? Thank You in advance! :) :) :)

You will have to update the code to read the new display search for
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213730
This may help out. I’m thinking of doing the same but I will have to wait until the warranty is over
I would first change the code and replace the lcd
Good luck
Removal of the lcd is simple.

There is a post from yesterday on the BMW i3 FB page - someone did it - says it was a simple swap of the screens and some minor coding:
HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 10.25_...
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

Thanks for the reply guys. Any idea on where to get the larger screen other than from the dealer? Also, any idea if only the dealer do the coding for it to work?

Do a google search....a howto guide was posted a while ago on this thread http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4870

"....

Yep it is do-able. I have done it on our first 2015 i3 Mega.

It is really not too hard, below were my basic steps
- Acquire the right 10.25" screen from a wrecked i3 - Ebay/LKQ/etc -- Part # 65509306743 -- It has to be from an i3, as the mounts are not the same on other bmws
- Get comfortable with BMW E-sys (though the bimmercode may work)
- Pop the two rubber/plastic plugs on the top backside of the current screen to expose the screws (I spent waaay too much time figuring this one out....in the end I just used a dentist pick to stab them in the middle and pop them out...)
- Remove the two screws, pull the display out, unplug the cable
- put the new screen in
- Through Esys (and maybe bimmercode) - make note of the original setting of the two lines below and update it to match the following settings:
----- HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 10.25_1280x480
----- HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display
------ Please note these were from my very rough notes while I was working on the project - you may actually need to choose a different setting, but these seem right
- Save the coding
- turn the car off and on - the screen should just work
- If not, try a different drop down setting for screen resolution - though I think it should be 1280x480 (see notes above)
- worst case, it doesn't work - either the screen is bad or my notes are way off - try again or if fed up, reset it back to the setting prior to changing the two lines above) and put back the original screen.

It took me roughly 2 hours to do this (not including time to get E-sys to install/work -- this knowledge can be obtained from various other BMW forums out there) ....granted...1.5 of those hours was me trying to figure how to get those plastic caps off without scratching the car or damaging the caps....poking a small hole in them with an angled dentist pick (harbor freight) and pulling them out was my solution - the rubbery-ness of the caps makes the holes almost unnoticeable after wards...if it really bothers you, look up the parts on REALOEM and order new caps...last I looked it was around $2-6 for a new set of caps from various bmw dealers online....

Assuming everything works ok - you now have a much nicer 10.25 screen to look at. The only deficiency I've noticed between the higher end HU_NAV unti that by default comes with this screen, is that the Nav system wont give you 3d perspective option...not a huge loss in my opinion....

Oh yeah...one more caveat/disclaimer - If you do this mod, it will be in your best interest to keep the old screen. In the event you need to take your i3 in for major service that may involve re-installing or updating the car's software - it will most likely behoove you to revert your settings back to the smaller screen and reinstalling the smaller screen. Reason being, is that when the service center redoes your software or updates it - its setting are based on the configuration BMW has set for that VIN - it is expecting that there will be the smaller, lower res screen. Needless to say, this will not work with the larger screen - it will just stay Black....not only will this probably freak out the techs (thinking that the updated software broke something), but will eventually bring attention that you may have done mods to your car that will void your warranty, and cause undue suspicion that you may have cause the reason the car to have a warranty claim or putting you on a blacklist if just bringing it in for a software update....you can tell I'm a pessimist....

oh yeah...one more of those disclaimers - I take no responsibility if you break your car/void your warranty/etc...this is for entertainment purposes only ;)

//one more note:
For 2018, the 10.25 screen has a higher resolution of 1,440 × 540 (vs 1280x480 for 2014-2017) as well as an update idrive unit to support the higher resolution. I am not sure a 2014-2017 i3 can use this higher resolution screen nor am I sure a 2018 could use the lower resolution 10.25 screen -- however if you have the means to try it out, please post your findings!

..."

So I have been lurking here for a while. I had been searching for a used I3 Rex Tera for a while, and had went on the last evening of the month and stumbled on a untitled corporate demo 2016 with 1900 miles dead as a doornail but right in almost every other way just unloaded from a truck at the dealer. The salesman shot me what I believe was a wrong price and I had to bite on it. We ran out of time that evening. couldn't finish the deal that night and they tried to switch cars on the paperwork the next day to a used 2015 I3 Rex fluid black Mega with 14k miles for the same $, but I had taken pictures of the car including the vin number the previous evening so I wouldn't get numbers mixed up and forced the change back. It is almost fully loaded including the HK system and Nav, but had the small display.
So searching that almost deal killer cheap display issue brought me here to this thread. Thank you EVBOB for your helpful post.
Finding this large display has proven more difficult than I thought, but I finally bought one and installed it this afternoon. I have two coding options, Bimmercode which I was already familiar with for example recoding the REX. and the other is I believe the e sys one which I had also purchased but hadn't tried.
So after installing the new display and straightening the hook on a dental pick while attempting to remove the screws caps as per EVBOB's write up, It was on to the coding as I was staring at a large non functioning screen. I fired up the Bimmercode app on my Moto phone and after going into the headunit section, I used the switch at the top right of the screen for expert mode. I went into the first option for "3000 HMI" found the option "DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION" and tapped it which opened a selection box, which I selected "10.25_1280x480" and hit "OK".
Then backed out of "3000 HMI" and selected the next one down, "3001 EXBOX". scrolling down I located the option "DISPLAY_VARIANTE" which i selected and it again popped open an option box in which i selected "breites_display".
I then backed out to the headunit page and tapped the upper right hand word code which started the recoding which took a minute after which the system rebooted and the display now functions including split screen.
I am so happy with this display, to me it makes the car right, feels much higher quality getting rid of the cheap low rez screen, everything is easier to see including the back up camera. Thank You. I hope this helps for the people using the "Bimmercode" app.

Looking for a 10.25” display, been searching and calling junkyards for two weeks straight and haven’t found anything.

Yes, I know about the damaged ones on eBay, not sure who would want a broken or scratched LCD but I am looking for one in excellent condition.

I will pay top dollar and now offering $20 cash finders fee! Payable via PayPal! :)

My ride is a 2017 Cheapo World REX.

Need to know the last seven of your VIN to look up what the part number is for your screen. You can pm it or take your screen off and give the part number from the smaller one.

Hello Mr. Blackhole :)

I PM’d you the VIN, no clue if you will get the PM since it just show it is in the outbox.

Lemme know and thanks!

If anyone is interested. I have one for sale :)

No idea what they would be worth, I know the 9” screens out of the 3 series sells for between 2-400 dependant.

Judging by lack of them on the market, I will be putting it on eBay tomorrow.

Unless I get an offer I’d like from you guys?

** joined because I’d seen this thread**.

Just thought I’d add a note to this topic as I made the conversion shortly after buying a used I3 last year. First thing I’d say is that overall it’s a relatively easy mod to make. My biggest challenge was actually sourcing the new larger head unit. From BMW in the UK the cost was very expensive but I found a used one on eBay from a car being broken. Also, I used the BimmerCode app to do the reprogramming which I found very easy to use. All in all I was delighted with the mod.

HOWEVER - point to note here if it has not already been mentioned: changing the programming can cause issues down the line which I found out this week. Long story short my I3 developed a fault with its “Park Lock Actuator” which meant the car would not go into gear. A part required replacing costing £2,500... BMW very kindly paid most of the bill out of goodwill (even though the car is out of warranty)! Anyway, with the new part installed the car needed to be reprogrammed and what BMW do is look at the original build spec of the car and reprogram accordingly. Once the car was reprogrammed I had a call from BMW asking me for another £1,000 to replace the head unit which was no longer working. I was honest and explained the upgrade I made and said I’d simply fix the programming at home.

So the lesson learnt is if you make this change let BMW know before they do any major works on your car.

Hi there. I’ve received emails on here from people interested in buying the screen I have. The upgraded size.

I have replied, but messages are sat in “outbox”. Is this normal or is there something else I need to be doing to enable this to be sent?

I still have mine available. I never got around to selling it. I’ve tried to PM you but the message is sitting in outbox 😶🤷🏼‍♂️

This was very easy to do. The larger display is so much easier to read. We have two i3’s and one had the larger display already so driving the one with the small display was really noticeable. I’m happy!

You can buy the screens brandnew in China for about $380, they are from the brand called Chimei Innolux ( the same brand as in the BMW's are ) , the type you need is BM 9306743 03.

I was planning on doing this myself but it is actually the wifes car and she don't care about the size of the screen so that is what kept me from doing this at this time. But if I'm honest, wen I'm driving the car I also do not care of the size from the screen I just found it better looking, that's it.

EVBob said:
For 2018, the 10.25 screen has a higher resolution of 1,440 × 540 (vs 1280x480 for 2014-2017) as well as an update idrive unit to support the higher resolution. I am not sure a 2014-2017 i3 can use this higher resolution screen nor am I sure a 2018 could use the lower resolution 10.25 screen -- however if you have the means to try it out, please post your findings!

..."

I have problems with replacing the screen on my 2019 i3s. I have the 6,5 screen and the headunit is named HU_ENTRYNAV2 i e-sys

There is no HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION or like availible but I have found out from f30 forum-coding that there is some resolutionssettings in HU_ENTRYNAV2 > 3005 Display_pip_config

The default settings for 6,5 screen is

HU_ENTRYNAV2 > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = schmales_display
HU_ENTRYNAV2> 3005 Display_pip_config > CID_DISPLAY_RES = 800_480
HU_ENTRYNAV2 > 3005 Display_pip_config > CID_DISPLAY_SIZE = 6_5

The default settings for 10,25 screen (navi professional) is

HU_NBT_EVO > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display
HU_NBT_EVO > 3005 Display_pip_config > CID_DISPLAY_RES = 1440_540
HU_NBT_EVO > 3005 Display_pip_config > CID_DISPLAY_SIZE = 10_25

When I swap screens and code like the HU_NBT_EVO I get No signal error

HU_ENTRYNAV2 > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display
HU_ENTRYNAV2 > 3005 Display_pip_config > CID_DISPLAY_RES = 1440_54
HU_ENTRYNAV2 > 3005 Display_pip_config > CID_DISPLAY_SIZE = 10_25

HU_ENTRYNAV2 > 3005 Display_pip_config > CID_DISPLAY_RES = 1280_480.

All combinations gives "No Signal"

Maybe I need to get my hands on an older 2017 (1280) screen to test if HU_ENTRYNAV2 can drive that one.

Anyone with ideas?

Back