i3s rear boot lid trim

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeA

Hey all, great to see such an enthusiastic community around the i3!

First post, but I have an Imperial Blue ‘plus pack’ i3s on the away (current eta August :cry: ) and am already keen to make some subtle improvements to the overall appearance.

My question is regarding the rear tale gate. I love the look of the cleaned rear end on some members i3’s and plan on doing a de-badge and possibly wiper delete, but have noticed that the i3s has a silver strip that the original i3 doesn’t. My hope is that this is stuck on in a similar way to the badges, can anyone confirm this yet?

I can't confirm but it most likely is.
If you would want to remove the round BMW logo, note that behind the centre emblem, there is an approximately 40mm diameter round hole in the panel, allowing you to see through into the innards of the tailgate.

Thanks XXL, I think i’d Keep the BMW emblem as from what I know, the space behind isn’t tinted so will likely keep that and loose the smaller badges and hopefully the silver strip. If it’s not glued, then I suppose the other option is to wrap it, but my thinking is I will remove all the badges, then using window tint, wrap the whole tailgate in order to lightly tint the red tail lights, then replace the BMW badge back.

Along with black wrapping the silver accents around the car I’m looking for the ‘murdered out’ look with the contrasting imperial blue :cool:

I can’t wait!

On this parts diagram, no trim fasteners are listed, so the trim strip is almost certainly attached to the glass hatch with trim tape or less likely, glue. It's really unlikely that would BMW create a new glass hatch cover with trim mounting holes.

Back