rougeetnoir

Re: New i3s (with pics) now what winter wheels/tires?

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:10 am

Could anyone clarify this statement about winter snow tire packages
"[Option #2]: ~$1.5k from Tiretrack mounted and shipped: RIAL X10-I wheels (19x5 Finish: Black Painted Offset: 43mm, TPMS Kit) and BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-500 tires. But you'll also need a 10mm spacer in the front and a 15mm spacer in the rear from ECS here, which seem to add ~$150?"

I just got off the phone with TireRack and they assure me that the wheel set--the only one they sell--of Riall wheels with the Blizzaks will be OK as to inner and outer clearance without any spacers. Logically this would seem likely since the Blizzaks are basically front tire width used at the rear of the car where there is space for a much wider tire.

Does anyone have the evidence for this concern about the TireRack set which I now have? I don't want to put them on in December and discover there is trouble. So can anyone speak from personal experience with an i3S about the incorrect offset and need for spacers with the Tirerack package? Thanks very much for your help.

SSi3

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 am

rougeetnoir wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:10 am
Could anyone clarify this statement about winter snow tire packages
"[Option #2]: ~$1.5k from Tiretrack mounted and shipped: RIAL X10-I wheels (19x5 Finish: Black Painted Offset: 43mm, TPMS Kit) and BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-500 tires. But you'll also need a 10mm spacer in the front and a 15mm spacer in the rear from ECS here, which seem to add ~$150?"

I just got off the phone with TireRack and they assure me that the wheel set--the only one they sell--of Riall wheels with the Blizzaks will be OK as to inner and outer clearance without any spacers. Logically this would seem likely since the Blizzaks are basically front tire width used at the rear of the car where there is space for a much wider tire.

Does anyone have the evidence for this concern about the TireRack set which I now have? I don't want to put them on in December and discover there is trouble. So can anyone speak from personal experience with an i3S about the incorrect offset and need for spacers with the Tirerack package? Thanks very much for your help.
There is no need for spacers on an i3s to run the 19x5 wheels at all 4 corners. I have a 2019 i3s and previously had a 2015 Rex, i just carried on using the same Style 427 (pizza) wheels and 155 Blizzaks when I got the 2019 car. The only reason people suggest spacers is to push the 19x5 wheels out to line up nicer with the flares on the s. In my opinion its better to have the winters tucked into the wheel wells, keeps all the road crud off the sides of the car.

I'll try adding pics of my car, if they don't show up, OneDrive doesn't like sharing into forums for some reason...

Born electric 4/25/15 (2015 REx)
Re-born fully electric 7/27/19 (2019 i3s BEV)

Spamouflage

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 am

I’ve pretty much already decided to buy the BMW winter wheel and tire kit in the fall. I had no idea (my bad - should have researched more) that tires would be such a to-do.

CanisLupus

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:07 am

The different suspension specs call for the different offset of the wheels . The engineering sets the pivot point of the front wheels in the center of the contact tread (described as scrub radius) . Using the correct offset wheels is the only recommended setup .

alohart

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:16 pm

CanisLupus wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:07 am
The different suspension specs call for the different offset of the wheels . The engineering sets the pivot point of the front wheels in the center of the contact tread (described as scrub radius) . Using the correct offset wheels is the only recommended setup .
While I agree with this, it seems that BMW might not. I've read that the suspension geometries for the i3 and i3S are identical yet the wheel offsets aren't. The i3S wheels would be like i3 wheels with wheel spacers to push the wheels and tires more to the outside increasing the track. This would change the scrub radius, yet apparently this is OK with BMW.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”