OE Reverse Camera (Option 3AG) seems easy to retrofit?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wywywywy

Hi all,

So looking at this wiring diagram -

rC6kyI5.png

It seems to me that the reverse camera is super easy to retrofit?

From what I can tell, all it needs is -
1. Get a camera module (66539324247 / 66539353705 / 66539390542 / 66539396832) with bracket
2. Connect power (fuse 56)
3. Connect CAN (X-CAN3)
4. Connect LVDS to head unit (pin 23/24 of connector 1B)
5. Drill a hole in the bumper
6. Double-sided tape bracket onto bumper
7. Slot camera module into bracket
8. Coding (add 3AG to VO)

Is it really that simple? I guess I must be mistaken and missing something, right?

I guess maybe the main question is whether the wiring loom is already in place, if it is then the retrofit can probably be done in less than 30 mins excluding coding.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks.

You won't know for sure about the harness status until you look, but given the way BMW builds most of their cars these days, one of the few things that gets prewired in them is the satellite radio...to save the wiring, connectors, and weight, the harness is custom to the car in question and the optional equipment's wiring is just not there.

Let us know what you find.

I've had this exact same thought and already acquired one of the 66539324247 TRSVC modules. I was curious to see if the harness is already there if I removed the bumper, and if the the LVDS was already included It is a 9 pin connector on the back of the module.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Hi.

I haven't got the time to check yet but from looking at the TIS and parts catalogue, I think you can tell whether you have the harness just by checking under the rear bench seat rather than removing the bumper.

@xanie Have you made any progress?

I took a picture of mine but can't yet work out which pins are 23/24.

The TIS doesn't really help.

(Click for full size)

I've also been interested in adding this option to my 2014 i3 REX. i removed my rear bumper but the part of the harness for the camera wasn't there. Not sure how or if it can be added but keeping my fingers crossed that it can be added because i hate not having a backup camera.

BMW literally builds the harness to the vehicle's option list. This means, that with few exceptions (satellite radio being an exception), it rarely has extra wires or plugs in their harnesses. Gone are the days, at least at BMW, where there's one harness for every option, and stuff can be easily added later.

Anything's possible if you want to pay for it, but probably an easier fix would be to use a remote control camera feed to a separate display. Not as nice as having it built-in, but easier.

@wywywywy

Thanks for the picture, I haven't made any progress on this specific project. I think I had some information about pinouts on the NBT. I'll dig around and see what I can find and post it here.

@Liquiddragon

Did you happen to take a picture of where the camera _should_ go behind the bumper? That would be a good piece of intelligence.

---

Just purchased a used i3 and like it, but given how dark and rainy it is up here in Washington we're definitely wanting to add the backup camera. NavTool had one that intercepted the video signal so no code changes needed, but they discontinued it since there wasn't enough volume. I'm looking into BimmerTech's solution as well which seems to have a similar approach. But your wiring detail intrigues me and seems straightforward, with minor coding changes. Does sound like one may need to piece together and run a wiring harness but that would have been the case with these retro solutions anyway. Are the other critical ingredients in place? ie, the head a standard unit? You guys are using abbreviations I don't see on the schematic -- is there a location I can download the all-up schematics that fills in the blanks? So far it seems the hardest part of this is finding the information, maybe some parts. Forgive me if this seems obvious. I'm new to BMWs and their nomenclature. DO see this conversation as potentially very useful -- thanks.

maybe is here owner of i3 with reverse camera and would be able to make pictures how/where to camera is connected?

Did anybody make any progress on installing option “3AG“ (rear camera) ?

I have a 2017 i3 and would also like to install a back up camera.

What I found so far is BMW part number 61 11 9 349 361 “rear replacement cable, rear view“.

This appears to be a cable for people who had the rear bumper destroyed I presume.

There’s also another part the camera support bracket, which is part number 51 12 7 305 103 “counter support read“.

…anyone have any luck on this?

The only problem I find with this “rear replacement cable, rear view” is it may only be spliced into an existing cable…

that’s all I know…

- anybody know anything about this?

By the way, I was informed the diagram you showed at the beginning of this post I believe is for an x5. Thanks.

We have OEM camera sets in stock. Set includes followings:

- i3 icam camera
- camera holder
- wiring harness (4 wire to headunit under back seat, 2 wire to front BDC module)
- OBD-Enet adapter for remote programming
- wiring diagram
- live assist when assembling (if needed)

Price is 450 USD, payment via Paypal by invoice.

[email protected]

Hi all,

So looking at this wiring diagram -

rC6kyI5.png

It seems to me that the reverse camera is super easy to retrofit?

From what I can tell, all it needs is -
1. Get a camera module (66539324247 / 66539353705 / 66539390542 / 66539396832) with bracket
2. Connect power (fuse 56)
3. Connect CAN (X-CAN3)
4. Connect LVDS to head unit (pin 23/24 of connector 1B)
5. Drill a hole in the bumper
6. Double-sided tape bracket onto bumper
7. Slot camera module into bracket
8. Coding (add 3AG to VO)

Is it really that simple? I guess I must be mistaken and missing something, right?

I guess maybe the main question is whether the wiring loom is already in place, if it is then the retrofit can probably be done in less than 30 mins excluding coding.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks.
Hi,
I cannot find the can3 terminator.
Do you know the connector and pinout for the camera can3 low and high wires?
Thanks

Back