Aftermarket wheels avaiable in 2018.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacfoto

It seems very hard to find aftermarket wheels for the i3 vs other BMWs. Obviously the wheels are tall and skinny vs. most other cars. In any case I thought I'd make a list here of any that I can find, and hope others can add some.

Tire Rack sells the 19" rail wheels in black or silver
rial-bmw-i3.jpg

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=BMW&autoModel=i3+with+Range+Extender&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=&package=false

Damn, >$1000 for a set of four. I want four cheap wheels to mount winter tires to (probably the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-500.) But at $1000 for the set-of-four, I'd be too afraid of getting them damaged! I guess I'll just have to wait for an i3 to hit a local wrecking yard to buy the wheels off them.

Did you get little BMW roundels to put in the centers? I must say, that gives them a *GREAT* look, like they're just another BMW option! As "replacement nice wheels" they are very nice.

Been looking for some wheels to mount snows too. Even the wrecking yards (when they have any) are getting $250+ for 19" OEM wheels. eBay is even higher $299+.
Be nice to have a basic steel winter wheel but, admittedly, it's a small market.

When I bought my OEM winter tire/wheel set, I paid about $1450 ready to install with TPMS, wheels, tires, mounting, balancing, etc. I think the price has gone up since then, but surprisingly, the dealer isn't all that bad for some things. For example, the winter tire package all inclusive is cheaper than buying just the wheel as a repair part. No good reason why, but it is, or at least was true when I bought mine. When it comes time to replace my winter tires, I'll probably try the Nokian R3 tires verses the Bridgestones, though. Just bought a set of those for my other car, but it's too early to install on it and try them out.

NOte, the i3 wheels are forged, not cast, so that they are lighter and stronger for their size than a cast one would be...that costs more.

The Rial wheel with a Blizzak tire weighs 38.4 pounds on my bathroom scale. Almost the same as a BMW wheel and summer tire. The Rials are not as efficient due to the open design. Last winter I averaged 4.9 miles per kWh. On my summer tires I average 5 miles per kWh. The wheel comes with a blank plastic center insert. You can replace it with the BMW roundel from the stock wheels (which are easy to remove) or buy a replacement set on eBay. I am happy with the Blizzaks. Directional stability and handling are good. The car feels like it responds more quickly with less resistance to steering inputs. My guess is that this is probably due to the smaller (155/70R19) rear tires.

Back