Adding subwoofer to a base non-HK system?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loux

Hello, I’ve been looking for a while on how to tap into the audio of a base system i3’s audio for adding a subwoofer. I find loads of information out there for an upgraded system but non for a base one.

Power needs is straight forward just curious about the audio side. Short of taping the wires inside the door itself. :/

Any information or pointing me in the right direction would be awesome! Thanks

The "head unit" is underneath the rear seat. I do not know how much that differs in a base vs Harman system. I do not believe there is any pre-out, but you could take a look underneath there.

I have a non-HK system. It didn't sound good at all and I decided to improve the set up a bit.
Since the space is limited and I only wanted to have a decent bass I ended up with a small Pioneer active subwoofer. I placed it under the dash and took the signal from the speaker lines. From this angle you can see it but normally you wouldn't even notice it's there:

684ze.jpg

I also replaced the midrange door speakers with a two-way system from Audison (APBMW).
I used my 3D printer to make housings for the tweeters:

wh7ip.jpg

The original head unit is not very powerful (4 x 25W). I installed a small 4-way amplifier under the rear seat:

v0j4s.jpg

Not so heavy or expensive modifications but now I'm really pleased with the sound quality :p

Hello
I also want to install a small Focal amplifier under the rear seat. But I do not know where to take 12v power in this area. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Star63 said:
I have a non-HK system. It didn't sound good at all and I decided to improve the set up a bit.
Since the space is limited and I only wanted to have a decent bass I ended up with a small Pioneer active subwoofer. I placed it under the dash and took the signal from the speaker lines. From this angle you can see it but normally you wouldn't even notice it's there:

684ze.jpg

Would you be able to explain or post pictures showing how to wire the Pioneer subwoofer?

I took the input from the bass speakers in the footwell. Those speakers connect to the head unit (under the rear seat) with thick brown wires.

Back