Updating Maps

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RostHaus

Could someone point me in the right directions of where to get the most recent maps 2019 and maybe a walk through on updating it?

I've got a few USB sticks available for this.

I currently have:
Road Map NORTH AMERICA Next
2016-1
NBT_O16255A

Newer vehicles seem to have an unlimited key to allow updates. Yours may require an FSC code for the vehicle to accept new maps.

The procedure is pretty simple. DOwnload the maps (several sources, some free, some charge), copy in the right format to your USB drive, turn the car on, insert the USB into the port in the center console, and wait a bit. If the files are properly arranged and the USB stick is properly formatted so the car can recognize it, you'll get a message on the screen. If you don't need a new FSC code, it will ask you if you want to install the maps, say yes, and wait. You can drive the car if you want. When it's done, it will ask you if it's okay to swap the old maps out.

If you need an FSC code, it will tell you to enter one when it recognizes the USB stick, you manually enter that, and then the process is the same.

There are ways to generate an FSC code if you're computer savy and have the right tools. It's easier for most to buy one. They come in either annual or lifetime codes, and the price isn't all that much different. Do a search, and you can find sources. Prices vary from around $15-50 or so.

I expect the 2019-2 version will be out soon, if it isn't already. They tend to change them 2x per year. The update process takes 30-45 minutes or so, somewhat dependent on the speed of your USB drive.

Thanks.

While searching today i did find this site : https://bimmervideos.cloud/bmw-navigation-updates-latest-bmw-road-map/

which seems to have all the new maps available for download and FSC code generator.

Do you know what the difference is between the route and next maps? I've seen some i3 owners mention the Route maps.

RostHaus said:
Do you know what the difference is between the route and next maps? I've seen some i3 owners mention the Route maps.
i3's like ours with the Tech Package (larger nav screen) use Next maps. I know that i3's without the Tech Package (smaller nav screen) don't use Next maps. However, I don't know whether these i3's use Route maps.

I ended up paying for the maps, because I need have a cable to use the FSC generator. Very simple process and I complete recommend going to the cheapest vendor, because they are all selling the same thing. Particularly the ones that send you a download link. You are essentially just paying for the FSC code, which I didn't even need.

In future I'll just download the maps and if I need a new FSC code, you can buy those on eBay for $10.

If anyone needs a DL link, I've got a few sources for the Road Map North America NEXT 2019-1.

I paid about $50 for lifetime FSC Code + 2019-01 Maps, but the car never asked for FSC code at all.

I pay for an annual subscription from Bimmer America that includes 4 usb sticks that are shipped to me, once each quarter. I'd say it's worth it, though the maps information is still worse than Google Maps.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t said:
I pay for an annual subscription from Bimmer America that includes 4 usb sticks that are shipped to me, once each quarter. I'd say it's worth it, though the maps information is still worse than Google Maps.
Since 2014, the maps on our i3 have been updated only twice per year if I recall correctly. So half of the USB sticks received each quarter would contain the same map data as the stick received the previous quarter. This doesn't seem very cost-effective to me unless the subscription cost is very reasonable.

alohart said:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t said:
Since 2014, the maps on our i3 have been updated only twice per year if I recall correctly. So half of the USB sticks received each quarter would contain the same map data as the stick received the previous quarter. This doesn't seem very cost-effective to me unless the subscription cost is very reasonable.

The two allegedly worthless quarterly updates still take a few hours to install, so maybe it is uninstalling and reinstalling the same data. Do you have more information regarding that?

The retail cost is $80 for one update and $150 for the annual subscription. I find that unobjectionable.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t said:
The two allegedly worthless quarterly updates still take a few hours to install, so maybe it is uninstalling and reinstalling the same data. Do you have more information regarding that?
Certainly the map version number must be included with each USB stick which would allow you to determine whether you've received duplicate map updates. In 2019, only 2019-1 and 2019-2 exist to date as far as I know. 2019-1 was released in fall, 2018, so there's not much more time for 2019-3 to be released.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t said:
The retail cost is $80 for one update and $150 for the annual subscription. I find that unobjectionable.
If $80 is reasonable, receiving 2 updates for $150 would be reasonable. Maybe you could sell all of the extra USB sticks :lol:

I haven't noticed any changes in any map update that I have installed, so they aren't worth much to me. However, few new roads are being built where I drive. I had hoped that a map update would improve route suggestions, but that hasn't occurred unfortunately.

alohart said:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t said:
Certainly the map version number must be included with each USB stick which would allow you to determine whether you've received duplicate map updates. In 2019, only 2019-1 and 2019-2 exist to date as far as I know. 2019-1 was released in fall, 2018, so there's not much more time for 2019-3 to be released.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t said:
If $80 is reasonable, receiving 2 updates for $150 would be reasonable. Maybe you could sell all of the extra USB sticks :lol:

I haven't noticed any changes in any map update that I have installed, so they aren't worth much to me. However, few new roads are being built where I drive. I had hoped that a map update would improve route suggestions, but that hasn't occurred unfortunately.

I'll start keeping track of the update versions, and report back.

I agree with your complaints regarding the BMW maps. I even subscribed to the real-time traffic updates, but it's nowhere near as good as Google Maps.

Still, I think I'll subscribe to the USB maps subscription and the real-time traffic updates going forward. It's less than $200/year. Less with coupon codes.

Back