Replacing Control Display

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that you'll find the video interface module is different as well, so it will require more than just the display to be changed. It may also end up with the upgraded nav system, so you're talking about more money. Near the beginning, a few cars into the USA came with the stock nav, when they should have had the professional one. Those were able to be converted to the larger display and nav system, but the owners did not see the cost involved. IT might be substantial. A digital display verses an analog one needs a correspondingly suitable digital input to work, whereas an analog one might just make the whole picture bigger to match the display.

Yes, if enough money and time are involved. Lots of e90 owners were able to retrofit their cars with later e90 nav systems. Plan on it being VERY expensive, much more expensive than having bought a car with professional nav. Coding will need to be done, and then re-done every time the car has a software update (it will revert to the old coding due to the VIN telling BMW what the car had from the factory) and most likely a lot of bugs will need to be worked out.

Best of luck!

Back