noakey

rapid charge retrofit?

Sun May 11, 2014 5:03 am

Hi.. does anyone know if rapid charge can be retrofitted?

Thank you...
Neil

BEV at 21,000 miles in first 16 months.
Average 86 miles per charge.
Best on full charge 112miles, worst on full charge 55miles
Loving every mile :)

mindmachine

Re: rapid charge retrofit?

Sun May 11, 2014 8:34 am

noakey wrote:Hi.. does anyone know if rapid charge can be retrofitted?

Thank you...
I read somewhere this was ask before and the answer was NO. If I remember where I will post a link.

noakey

Sun May 11, 2014 9:54 am

mindmachine wrote:

Thank you...
I read somewhere this was ask before and the answer was NO. If I remember where I will post a link.
Hmmm I remember too but I think it was only a 'think'. If Rapid charging went wrong, then something would need to be replaced, so I assume you can get to all the bits. I guess 'No' is an easy answer for the moment until everything is really ramped up.

Am really enjoying our i3. I commute 64 miles to work, and 64 back, with charging near work.
Neil

mindmachine

Sun May 11, 2014 1:20 pm

noakey wrote:
mindmachine wrote:

Thank you...
Hmmm I remember too but I think it was only a 'think'. If Rapid charging went wrong, then something would need to be replaced, so I assume you can get to all the bits. I guess 'No' is an easy answer for the moment until everything is really ramped up.

Am really enjoying our i3. I commute 64 miles to work, and 64 back, with charging near work.
If DC rapid charging goes wrong, you still have AC fast charging. I am sure the answer was NO to retrofitting. Retrofitting can entail different items then repairing an existing OEM installed option. Just saying rapid charging is not aftermarket installable per info I read elsewhere.
Will look some more for where I read about it.

noakey

Sun May 11, 2014 1:34 pm

mindmachine wrote:

Thank you...

Am really enjoying our i3. I commute 64 miles to work, and 64 back, with charging near work.[/quote]

If DC rapid charging goes wrong, you still have AC fast charging. I am sure the answer was NO to retrofitting. Retrofitting can entail different items then repairing an existing OEM installed option. Just saying rapid charging is not aftermarket installable per info I read elsewhere.
Will look some more for where I read about it.[/quote]

Hi mind machine. .. hmm I think your right... it would involve everything from the power socket on the car, cable routing and probably software in integrated hardware. . Thank you for your info... neil
Neil

mindmachine

Sun May 11, 2014 1:42 pm

noakey wrote:
mindmachine wrote:

Thank you...

Will look some more for where I read about it.[/quote]

Hi mind machine. .. hmm I think your right... it would involve everything from the power socket on the car, cable routing and probably software in integrated hardware. . Thank you for your info... neil[/quote]

You know it should be possible, but I think cost to retrofit is more likely the issue.

Anyway here is the link: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic. ... d+charging

Good luck, this car is so new what is or isn't possible is tough to figure out.

rhend

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:37 am

Well, you know the BMW website video shows the charging port on the i3 has two plugs, and the car we drove at the dealership has both ports, so I'm assuming the plugs are there on all the cars. The salesman says the DC fast charge option is just a software upgrade. If that's it, then the "retrofit" is straightforward :D .

TomMoloughney
Site Admin

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:59 am

No it cannot be added afterwards. It has to be factory ordered. I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to somehow retrofit it and upgrade the software in the car, but BMW definitely won't do it.

You would be better off selling the car and getting another one with the option. It would likely cost less and be warranted.
Tom Moloughney
MINI-E: (6/09 - 1/12)
BMW ActiveE: (1/12 - 5/14)
BMW i3 REx: (5/14- 6/17)
BMW i3s BEV (1/18- )

My i3 Blog:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com

Zzzoom3

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 pm

rhend wrote:Well, you know the BMW website video shows the charging port on the i3 has two plugs, and the car we drove at the dealership has both ports, so I'm assuming the plugs are there on all the cars. The salesman says the DC fast charge option is just a software upgrade. If that's it, then the "retrofit" is straightforward :D .
The salesman doesn't know what he's talking about or is telling you what you want to hear. If the car is not ordered with DC Fast, the plug and wiring is NOT installed. As to adding it later, probably doable but not for $700 (U.S. price) option. IMO no one should order this vehicle without it. Do yourself a favor and tick this box.
Last edited by Zzzoom3 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lou Perez
2005 E46 M3 Dinan Titanium Silver
2012 Volt Diamond White Tricoat
2014 i3 BEV Giga Laurel Grey Electronaut

MikeS

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:43 am

Zzzoom3 wrote:
rhend wrote:IMO no one should order this vehicle without it. Do yourself a favor and tick this box.
Unless you have a REX and then there is no need!
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”