Upgrade to LED dome light and lighted visors?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeblow

So we replaced our crashed 15' REX with a 19' BEV and to make the money work we got a DEKA which does not have the LED dome light or lighted visor mirrors. Has anybody done this? I assume the wiring is all there?

I'm looking for an answer too. Crazy that no one has responded since your April posting! lol

Perhaps only a few care about the interior lighting situation? I would've upgraded the interior had I known "deka" would omit the LED ambient lighting... Nowhere on BMWUSA.com did it mentions ambient lighting with the other options... smh. Want to see if the door handle can be coded to light up...

I would think the lights would be a standard size. My car came with LED so I have not taken apart the dome/visor lights, but if you take out the incandescent lights you should be able to replace from a site like Diode Dynamics or SuperBrightLEDs...

Just ordered a pair of 168 LED bulbs (Philips Ultinon) with a plastic removal kit. Hoping this does the trick... I'm a little disappointed that a $50k car doesn't have LED lighting as standard across the board... It's funny how the glove box and the trunk light bulbs are LED, but not the map or dome. :/

It would be nice if someone figured out a way to enable the door handle lights for those with Deka interior... anyone?

So I tried once and failed. Can’t seem to get to the clips for the map lights. As for the back dome, I don’t know where the clips are...

Anyone have experience replacing these bulbs? If so, do you have a tutorial video or photos?

I’ve scoured the net and only found one posting of someone successfully replacing the map light, but I feel that a video would help more... I kept thinking that I’m going to break something if I continued prying our the cover...

I'm in the same boat here. Need to pop my dome light out but I stopped b/c I can't seem to find the elusive 2 front clips...
This may be a mortal sin, so please forgive me for posting to 'another' site...
https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1509888

Those pics don't help me at all. I have the proper tools and still can't seem to get ti right. Anybody got experience to share? Next I guess I'll hit up the FB group...

That’s exactly the same post I was referring to. Is it just me or are we really the only ones trying to figure this out right now? The manual doesn’t even cover bulb replacement...

Are you in SoCal by any chance? :D

LOL...opposite coast actually! NC to be exact.

I see there are clips. I have the tool and 'feel around' for the clips, but there's nothing I can get to press and release to free up the end near the windshield. I'm sure I'm close to breaking it.

I think I'm going to post something on the FB group about it. If you're not, joig the BMW i3 Worldwide Group. Tons of info there.

I’ve already requested add for that group and the one for SoCal too. Since the SoCal group let me in already, I did a quick search within the group and only found one post inquiring about the same thing... the post is a year old and no one ever responded. LOL! I’ll just piggyback off your post in the bigger group if there isn’t one already.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01-i3-hat/repair-manuals/63-lights/63-31-interior-lighting/1VnZ2AW94n?fbclid=IwAR39Flp2SCRv0UiUXZ5LJTJHrBJ8UxHyF_Z_RSWeLymt59ma6q7k_ZCn0mQ

Found this in a seach just now...

Wow! That's an epic find! Thank you!

Now let me know if you have any success with those instructions (lol!). In all seriousness, I'm not sure if my 5pc kit from amazon will work since none of the flat ones are really wide...

Any chance you'll film yours when you do it? I'll try to document mine when I get to it.

Back