We just got our Black 2017 REx from a lease transfer and drove it home from Long Island to Albany, NY on Saturday. This gave me a full day to get acquainted with the car and it's idiosyncrasies. Here are a few thoughts.
- We got as advertised range on the way home mixing EP+ on low speed/high traffic highways and EP on 87 on the way home. Made it 160 miles with a DC charge 1/2 way through and going 65mph for the last 1/2 of the trip
- The car was comfortable and predicable at highway speed, but the steering is super sensitive (which I really like)
- The four speaker stereo is abysmal. The worst sounding stereo I've had in memory. Absolute trash. In a $50k car it's an embarrassment.
- The user interface is not intuitive, but I suspect after some time Idrive will come to be a no brainer so can't complain
- Who put the stalks behind one another?!
- The wipers have two speeds. Really? In a car this pricey?
- The RE kicked on for a bit on a maintenance run (the car has been sitting) but it was inaudible. Could def feel it moving the car with more gusto.
- The nav system reminds me of how wonderful Apple Carplay was. There's no distance to next turn or estimated time of arrival. Did I miss a setting?
- Driving dynamics are amazing. Even in EP+
- Seats are great, but I miss lumbar adjustment. Still, I love the em.
- That flat area in front of the console is wasted space. I'd put things there but for fear of them moving into driver's foot well. Thus is space a subwoofer and storage could have filled
- Even on a trickle charge all night we seem to have enough juice for the average day, and more, so pleased with charging.
- I love the looks. It's funky, and small, and weird. But it's damn unique and fun and I love that it's different. The old car was a '16 Civic EX. Yawn. If I could combine that car's tech with this car we'd be so happy. Odd, I'm wishing the $50k BMW had the storage, console, stereo, tech and user interface of the $22k Honda.
- Despite the tires it handles superbly
- Back seats are great. I take no issue with the suicide doors. I'm reminded of my old Honda Element. So it takes an extra 30 seconds to get out. Who cares?! Why are people in such a hurry anyway?!
- I have not tried the park assist that came with the car but find it embarrassing for people that need it. The car is so nimble and so darn short! C'mon!
-I love the moonroof - it reminds me of a T top! - but it doesn't open all the way. What gives?
If I could do over, I'd get the same car but sub out the park assist for the tech package. I'd also go white with the wood and leather trim. The car we got feels rather spartan.