Code P0440

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher99

Hadn't run the REX for quite a while so decided to fire it up and run out some gas the other day. Shortly after the REX started the Check Engine light came on. Scanned it with my "Torque" app and it shows P0440 "Evaporative Emission Control System". I then scanned using the "BimmerLink" app and it shows a code 106004 "Tank Ventilation Valve Malfunction". Wondering if anybody has gotten this code before and if it actually is the tank ventilation valve? And if so, is this a reasonable DIY job for a moderatly mechanically inclined person?

My 2019 i3S Rex that BWM bought back from me got this code over and over again, even after the dealer replaced valves, charcoal canister and something pressurized with the fuel tank.

After the 4th repair for the same thing as the problem you experienced, BMWNA semi easily bought my car back. My 2020 i3S Rex (knock on wood) has been flawless for 7 months now, even after using Rex.

Sorry you are going through this. Keep us posted. Good Luck.

Deutsch100: Thanks for the reply. Doesn't sound encouragin, but hopefully mine won't be as problematic as yours was. Do you recall what the charge was for replacing the valve? Your warranty paid for yours but I'm on my own with this one.

Fisher99 said:
Deutsch100: Thanks for the reply. Doesn't sound encouragin, but hopefully mine won't be as problematic as yours was. Do you recall what the charge was for replacing the valve? Your warranty paid for yours but I'm on my own with this one.

I was under factory warranty, and this P0440 code came up 3 days after taking delivery and then persisted for 3-4 months and 4 repairs. I do not know the cost. Sorry.

Check out https://www.hubauer-shop.de

Now you'll need last 7 digits of VIN, but very detailed site, shows part location and prices. Chances are you'll order direct from main dealer but these are genuine parts so see how Hubauer prices compare, depends on shipping and taxes. For the activated charcoal filter under fuel supply section they don't even list a price, so maybe price fluctuates as not ordered that often, or vice versa and you need a stiff drink when you get the price? :eek:

Anyway, disconnect high voltage system. Not sure if you need to disconnect 12v battery too given its fuel tank, and work in well ventilated area. Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Back