Benchmarks: 2014 BMW i3-REx and Standard Range Plus Model 3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

I ran three, bidirectional, benchmarks using a dash cam on a fairly flat, paved road on the west boundary with the airport. I then transcribed the GPS time, latitude, and speed
BMW_SRM3+.jpg

Surprising results:
  • Nearly identical acceleration to 65-70 mph
  • 2014 BMW i3-REx is speed limited to ~90 mph
  • 2014 BMW i3-REx performance the same in EV or with Rex running
The SRM3+ acceleration is set to 'Chill' versus 'Standard' so I need to compare these modes. Furthermore, there are other options like 'traction control' that may affect acceleration rate. Finally, I did not try to launch either car by holding the brake, full press the accelerator, and release the brake. However, I may wait until the GPS mouse arrives and add high resolution accelerometer data.

My primary interest is in getting a net HP reading for both cars. I had used a maximum hill climb with the SRM3+ but initial results indicated a maximum of ~160 hp. This and earlier data suggests hp is limited up to about 70 mph. I suspect that road measured hp metrics requires speeds above 70 mph for each vehicle.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
FYI, I also had the BMW i3-REx in "Eco Pro" mode too.
My sense is that Eco Pro mode allows full power when the power pedal is floored so that acceleration is just as fast as in Comfort mode. Maybe that's not true for the Model 3's Chill mode.

Yes. The model 3 chill mode , is permanently slow. One feature i like in the i3 is the nice override, when you press it hard

Do we need to use the breaks in i3 when we change Forward / rear gear , when slow - say under 5 miles ?

I like the 3 second brake press activates the hand gear. i use it in very red light now. continuous pressing was causing heel issues

Both cars have a 'hold' mode that I find quite useful on hills and slopes. Brake to a stop and cars remain fixed even with foot off brake and pressing the accelerator moves the cars out smartly.

Bob Wilson

My Hold mode in i3 frequently fails or slips in steeper driveway slopes or hilly roads.
Like its on for a second , and then the cars start to roll as if the brake was not effective enough.
Is this a unique problem to me or is it common. Do i need to get it checked. Looks like a software issue

EVMan said:
Can you also do benchmark of the regen ?
When I get the GPS mouse. I'll have to weigh both vehicles to get their mass and then track the slow-down from say 70 mph to 10 mph. The change in kinetic energy will be what was regenerated. Actually I should be able to do the calculations on the regeneration based on the GPS mouse polling data.

Bob Wilson

EVMan said:
My Hold mode in i3 frequently fails or slips in steeper driveway slopes or hilly roads.
Like its on for a second , and then the cars start to roll as if the brake was not effective enough.
Is this a unique problem to me or is it common. Do i need to get it checked. Looks like a software issue

Mine does a bit. Its never much of a slip. But its enough to turn on the rearview camera.

I coded the camera to turn on, in event of a roll backwards.

Back