Gas Tank Pressure Sensor

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiloWatts

I dropped off my car this week for the software update.
In addition to the software update they told me there was a recall for the gas tank pressure sensor. It showed up on the invoice as "Campaign3" - "Recall F16 12 14 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor" part number 16-14-7-426-661.

Took delivery in June.

Check engine light went on day 1 with car. It was a hot day; 90+ degrees.

- First software patch installed in July/August. Check engine light went off after patch.

- Took car in for my second software update after BMW called. They performed the fuel pressure sensor campaign while the car was in for the software update last week. And yes the update did wipe out some but not all the settings in the car.

I did wait 3 weeks to schedule this latest appointment after BMW called me. Partly because I was busy and partly because I'm ok waiting for a stable software update.

In contrast with my iPhone experience. I updated my iPhone 5 to ios8 and wish I didn't. I've done all the minor updates 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 and the phone is now unstable / locks up. I'm learning to let others be the guinea pigs for software updates, especially when it's a car.

any idea whats in the latest software update? anything of interest?

On the phone BMW advised something to do with range and fast charging.

The new fuel pressure sensor is beginning to ship to the US. Here is a pic of one. It actually has gold plated connectors to eliminate a corrosion issue the original one was having and causing the CEL.
10641028_696085313811249_917586893772627917_n.jpg

In the 90's, I owned an Audi A6. They ended up changing the fuel level sensors (it had two) twice, each with newer designs, to overcome corrosion issues - finally ending with gold plated bits. Our fuel isn't as clean as that in Europe (often contains more sulfur), and that, along with any small amount of moisture and the ethanol can corrode stuff that the Europeans have absolutely no problems with. One would think they'd have figured that out by now, but it appears not. Gold plating things is not the first choice, especially when it normally isn't required.

Back