Bay Area to L.A. in a REx...newbie seeks trip advice

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelots

Hi, all...

I'm picking up a new-to-me 94Ah REx in the Bay Area this weekend and driving it down to L.A., I-280 east to 101 south to I-5 south.

I've never done this in an electric.

Oh, and I'm TOTALLY new to electrics.

I'd appreciate any and all advice for this route...

• where/when to charge
  • which charging points/networks are best
  • etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Get the plugshare app and set the filters for your i3. CCS and J-1772. Read the comments on the various plugshare listings to see how reliable a station might be, or has been recently. When DC fast charging, sometimes it works better to hold the connector firmly to the car while the charger is initiating. Note that the charge rate on fast charging slows down once you get to 80% or so and may not be worth paying for the last little bit to get to full. Unlock the software on your Rex (do a search) so that you can hold state of charge at 75% and below. Get all the apps for each type of charger you see on the plugshare stations. EVGO, Electrify America etc.... not sure about others in your area. Read up! Have fun!

Thanks, @JohnKelly. Got Plugshare, set up a Chargepoint account.

From what I can tell, if I want to drive the whole route as electrically as possible, I'll have to stop at DC fast chargers 3 or 4 times.

I know my range will depend on driving style, weather, and hills vs. flat.

I'm not planning on the car being a road-tripper...but I *do* need to get it from the Bay Area to L.A.

You will get the hang of it. I am doing a 1600 mile round trip in my 2015 Rex in a few weeks.... temps in the teens and twenties in Montana... going from the Washington coast to Bozeman MT. Sea level to over 6000 feet. Should be interesting. Have fun!

I've mapped that route out before to see if it was BEVable (it is!). That last stretch before the Grapevine, maybe approaching Gorman, seemed to the the most iffy. As long as you have sufficient electrons tanked before the climb, you ought to be good. Obviously resist the temptation to match the speed of other traffic. Check weather, too. I got some wind advisories on my phone today. If you get caught with a strong headwind that could do a number on your efficiency.

Thanks, @eNate!

I plan on charging up in Butttonwillow, which *should* get me at least UP the Grapevine. I might need a top-up for the rest of the way home, and there's a new charging station in Frazier Park, which should do the trick.

At least I'll get real-world experience in figuring out what kind of electric mileage I'll get!

Once you're back in the basin, I recall there being a plethora of charging options. And don't forget, it's regen city on the ride down!

Back