Why do I need an Emission inspection?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wired

Picked up a new 2019 i3 120 REx in Jan.
Currently have about 1800 miles on it.

The car is now telling me I need an Emission inspection this month.
And a Vehicle check in October.
And an Engine oil service in December.

Really? Really??? What's the point of the Emission inspection?

(This is in California, if that matters.)

The range extender is an internal combustion engine...it does produce emissions. It is a car.

BMW recommends changing the oil at one-year intervals OR when the vehicle computer says, whichever comes first. While there may be nothing else that needs service, there are things that it's a good idea to check, such as wiper blades, the cabin air filter, the engine air filter, muffler, etc., and that's what the vehicle check would deal with and service, if applicable. Some things are time related, some are mileage related. While under warranty, those checks are included, but may not apply to a car that wasn't bought new by you. FWIW, it will also bug you to change the brake fluid on a 2-year schedule from the date the vehicle was built, not sold.

jadnashuanh said:
While there may be nothing else that needs service, there are things that it's a good idea to check, such as wiper blades, the cabin air filter, the engine air filter, muffler, etc., and that's what the vehicle check would deal with and service, if applicable.
Wired, don't spend too much time looking for the engine intake air filter. I was surprised to learn that it is in a permanently sealed container and cannot be replaced. I suppose the entire air filter container could be replaced at considerable expense compared with a paper air filter element. Hopefully, few REx engines operate frequently in very dusty areas.

don't spend too much time looking for the engine intake air filter. I was surprised to learn that it is in a permanently sealed container and cannot be replaced.

Looking into it - on the BMW 650 scooter, where the REx engine originates, the first air filter change in the service documents is scheduled when the scooter hits 24,000 miles, on a scooter where the engine will likely be run at higher revs and load for longer periods of time than on an i3. Guesstimate @ 5% REx usage on an i3, and that equates to almost 500,000 miles on the car. Looks like BMW engineers made the air filter a sealed non-serviceable unit, because it will last beyond the normal life of the car.

You're in California? Which county?
Usually you need an emissions test (passed) before DMV will give you a registration and this happens when you register the car.

90% of all i3's with REx usually pass the emissions test but just make sure the engine oil and oil filter is fresh. The little scooper engine in the i3 doesn't put out enough bad gases to cause harm as long as the engine is serviced regularly. BMW has a notorious habit or requiring i3 owners to bring in their cars every 1500 miles or so for routine service..

BMW has a notorious habit or requiring i3 owners to bring in their cars every 1500 miles or so for routine service..

That's not been my experience. Once a year for oil change, once every two years for brake-flush are the only service reminder's my dealer has ever pinged me with.

Back