Wider tires w/ spacers on i3 ReX?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASmith

Word is that the i3s's wider tires help with stability/dartiness on the highway compared to the i3. Unfortunately, i3s are not only more expensive and less common, but they are also stiffer and have lower profile tires so there's less road comfort.

The fender flares aren't that large on the S-model, so I'm wondering if you could just install some spacers and then run wider tires on the non-S for those wanting a more compliant ride and to save money. The i3s is running 175s IIRC, and that easily fits on a 5" wide wheel.

There's only one result on TireRack, but they have 175/60/19 ECOPIA EP600s for example, which should be very close to the i3s size but a little more comfortable ride.

Anyone already done this?

I have installed 195/50r20 tires on the stock 430 rear wheels and 175/55r20 tires on the stock 430 front wheels with no spacers on any wheel. I own a 2017 i3 Rex.

Cool thanks, unfortunately I see no 195/50 or 55 19" tires available, but 175 all around might be better anyway so you can rotate.

Based on my experience, 175 tires will fit on the front 5.0 inch wheels with adequate clearance between the suspension parts and the inside tire walls.

Back