Fuel stabilizer a good idea if you don't drive much??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonsuponatime

Just purchased a used 2018 REx. I work from home and don't drive much at all so would a fuel stabilizer be a good thing to use in the gas tank? I know it runs a maintenance routine to ensure the motor is working properly, lubed, etc., but I put less than 4K a year on my cars and they tend to sit a bit between trips. I've seen this topic on older forums/posts but wanted to see if there are any new recommendations to support this idea. Thanks in advance!

I add a small amount of fuel stabilizer in the REX tank, since I do not use the REX much. Although, since I activated (NOT coded ;) ) the Hold State of Charge, I am trying to use the REX 1-2x a month. You might want to consider activating REX to be able to use it when you want. As long as you are below 75% charge, you can kick on REX (just like the rest of the world does).

I'm skeptical and always on the lookout for snake oil products.

It seems some "stabilizers" claim to create an oxygen barrier that floats on top of the fuel, preventing it from absorbing moisture and oxidizing.

But if the car is being driven, this is going to shake and become turbulent, so I question its claimed effectiveness.

The others claim to prevent gunning up injectors and nozzles, but there are already so many additives in gasoline to address this that I can't imagine there's something magical in that bottle that the big oil companies haven't addressed.

I think about things like meat which needs to be dried or salted to preserve, or milk which gets fermented into cheese or yogurt, or frozen into ice cream — substantially changing the nature of the original product. A fuel stabilizer obviously can't change the nature of gasoline like that. Over time, gasoline is going to degrade, but I don't believe it's a worry at the time scale we're likely talking about here.

just put in ethanol free fuel - then gasoline is a lot longer long term stable.

The ethanol is pretty hygroscopic - attracts water out of air and then it starts breaking down. But the i3 tank is very tight system, I mean - there is almost no air getting in (small tank)

Usually when you store old cars - you fill the tank up to the top - so that there is only fuel and no air - no air - no oxygen - fewer reactions.

Could you describe how you activated REX at 75% of charge without coding please. Many thanks

What Deutsch is getting at is though everyone calls it 'coding' your car to be able to activate the REx option - it's not coding at all. It is using an App to unhide or activate options built in to the car's operating software. Just like your smartphone which has lots of options and hidden items that change functions. You use a built-in App/interface on your phone to make those changes. You turn on or off Bluetooth or Airplane mode. You select different ringtones for different alerts, etc. For the i3, you use a third party App called 'Bimmercode' (and an OBD dongle to make a connection) to give you access to the car's OS menu items, so you can select and change already existing functions. In the USA the idrive menu item to manually start the REx is hidden, to get the car to comply with California CARB regs. As does limiting the amount of gas in the tank you can use (earlier cars only). Bimmercode lets you unhide that menu item so you can activate the REx anytime the battery is below 75% via idrive (some people set one of the dash function buttons to do this as a shortcut).

Usually when you store old cars - you fill the tank up to the top - so that there is only fuel and no air - no air - no oxygen - fewer reactions.

***WARNING - WARNING***

DO NOT DO THIS WITH AN I3

ALWAYS let the tank fill to the first off click of the pump AND STOP! Overfilling the i3 puts fuel into the vapor recovery canister, will often ruin it and give you a nice 'Check Engine' light until you get it replace for lots of $$$.

rougeetnoir said:
Could you describe how you activated REX at 75% of charge without coding please. Many thanks

Because none of us are doing any coding. The Hold State of Charge is already built in the car. We, in the USA, are just activating it. Coding sounds dangerous, scary and complicated.

MKH said:

What Deutsch is getting at is though everyone calls it 'coding' your car to be able to activate the REx option - it's not coding at all. It is using an App to unhide or activate options built in to the car's operating software. Just like your smartphone which has lots of options and hidden items that change functions. You use a built-in App/interface on your phone to make those changes. You turn on or off Bluetooth or Airplane mode. You select different ringtones for different alerts, etc. For the i3, you use a third party App called 'Bimmercode' (and an OBD dongle to make a connection) to give you access to the car's OS menu items, so you can select and change already existing functions. In the USA the idrive menu item to manually start the REx is hidden, to get the car to comply with California CARB regs. As does limiting the amount of gas in the tank you can use (earlier cars only). Bimmercode lets you unhide that menu item so you can activate the REx anytime the battery is below 75% via idrive (some people set one of the dash function buttons to do this as a shortcut).
Thank you. So well said, as always with you :)

MKH said:

***WARNING - WARNING***

DO NOT DO THIS WITH AN I3

ALWAYS let the tank fill to the first off click of the pump AND STOP! Overfilling the i3 puts fuel into the vapor recovery canister, will often ruin it and give you a nice 'Check Engine' light until you get it replace for lots of $$$.

YES, YES, YES. Beyond important to stop filling immediately when you hear the 1st click!!!

Back