Smog Check in California?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpt

Does any one know if the REX needs to be smog checked on change of ownership in California? About to buy one and not seeing a definitive answers from a google search.

As far as I know, the i3 is legally classified as an EV in California, where other states have it listed as a gasoline hybrid. I do not believe there is any smog check for the i3 in CA.

Up in Oregon, it is classified as a hybrid, so needs a smog check.

Ironically, this also means I pay the "20-39 MPG vehicle" registration fee, instead of the twice as expensive EV registration fee.

Over the next five years or so, I expect some places will start charging EVs a toll based on the miles driven to compensate for the 'lost' revenue they collect on the sale of gasoline. Most EVs are heavier than similar ICE vehicles, and that puts a bigger wear factor on the roads and bridges. You might rationalize not doing that since they don't pollute as much, but their heavier weight does put more rubber dust into the environment that most don't consider when they review pollution...so, it's sort of a toss-up. IMHO, they should check the REx engine for pollution levels, and there's a routine built-in to force it to run so it can be checked. But, many states these days are not actually doing a smog check and are relying on finding no faults stored in the vehicle from the OBD-II port. My state used to do a tailpipe check, but now rely on the computer's report in the car that everything is working properly and things have been serviced on time.

I believe CA smog checks are based on the age of the car rather than a change of ownership. I think my 2015 REX is up for it's 1st CA Smog check in 2022. If you're buying a 2014 then it may be due in 2021.

The last time I sold a car in CA it was up to the seller to get a car smogged and registered, so check that the registration is current.

I did confirm it does need to be smogged in CA on change of ownership. I bought a used one, and DMV required it. The former owner took it to a smog shop and they had never seen one, so it confused them a little. They eventually passed it by just checking the monitors through OBD and never even started the motor. The reason many owners never see it requested is because CA allows newer vehicles to bypass smog for a number of years.

The REx normally doesn't run, so there's a special diagnostic mode you have to put the vehicle in to run the REx so they can do tailpipe emissions checks. It's not hard, but it's not readily apparent unless you are familiar with the BMW i3's service instructions. I don't think it's in the user's manual, but I have a BEV, so never really looked. ONce activated, I hear the REx will run for about 10-minutes, and it can't be activated unless the battery SOC is below (I think) 75%, or there'd be no place for the generated power to go. The REx directly powers a generator, and the output needs to go somewhere as there's no dummy load in the vehicle.

Back