⚠️ ADVICE ON WINDOW SQUEAKING ISSUE (POST RAIN/WASH)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3SFluidBlack

Hi guys, would like your input on an issue I’m currently facing — bought an i3S about 6 months back, which I then promptly took to HuperOptik for tinting (I live in a tropical country so no tint is a no-go), everything looked well done but I almost immediately had issues lowering & raising my drivers window. 

Took it back to the tinters and as expected they were aloof about it and pointed out that the passenger window had no issues, implying that this wasn’t their fault.
So I took it to BMW & after a simple checkup they said the regulator might need replacing & gave me a date to send the car in. 
After repairs I was told that actually the tinting was causing problems as “the cut/measurement was messing with the internals” (quotes because I’m not sure if I’m explaining this right), and they had to cut the excess inside and replaced the regulator. Everything seemed to be working like normal.

Then rainy season came a couple weeks later - and the window started screeching like a banshee every time I used it after/during/ rain or even hosing that side down.
Super loud & annoying, border-lining painful. So to recap; no window raising/lowering issues anymore (BMW tech also said the tinting measurement issue also solved), but screeching on lowering/raising in presence of/after water contact.

The way I see it, this issue was never there till they disassembled it to do the repairs… so did they inadvertently caused this problem?

Brought it back and they (hopefully) thoroughly checked it and they told me the weather strip will squeak sometimes this way (lol f**k me, flashbacks of the tinters also washing their hands off the problem) & they’ve sprayed silicone lubricant & the problem should’ve went away. So they say…

We’re in full rainy season, so I could test it even a day after — and lo; the problem has not completely gone away but it is waaayyy better. 
So my question is: did they screw something up? Does a part need replacing?

Or, my plan is (after some BMW forum google’ing) clean up both weather strips thoroughly with alcohol & compressed air, then use McLube Sailkote (apparently sailing industry class lubricant that works wonders with similar problems) on them — but there’s also a small part of me going “How can a new car be behaving this way? Also, isn’t this silicone spray more of a makeshift/stopgap solution or can it actually go away permanently? And why isn’t the other window behaving this way at all?”

Can’t shake the fact that something is off. Input appreciated, thanks guys!

I have no tint and my windows squeal too. As a matter of fact, I have to take my car in to have them fix a pretty obvious rattle coming from the frame or glass around the unlock button area on the driver side.

Back