REx Life?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengus

Putting to one side the formal BMW warranties for the I3Rex what, in practical terms, is the anticipated life of the Extender? My agent muttered something along the lines of 'the car has been built with the usual 200 to 250K miles in mind'.

I confess that I know nothing about the life of an occasionally run de-rated scooter engine.

Given how little most REx engines will be used, the life will be about two to four battery packs IMHO. Far longer than the car will be viable as even a bottom level used car........

Gen-set usage is one of the most favorable environments for engine longevity, a traditional genset will run at a fixed 3600rpm for its entire life and will spend most of that life at a steady state load. Nothing could be easier for an engineer to optimize a design to suit. The REx is a bit different in that the load and RPm will vary much more than an old style genset, but still it is within a far narrower band than any engine used in an ICE vehicle, scooter or otherwise. To me the biggest threat to the longevity comes from lack of use, something that BMW handles with the occasional engine run cycle as controlled by the software.

These gensets will far outlive the chassis they are installed in and I expect there to be a lively salvage market for those wishing a fantastic generator for all sorts of purposes. Low emissions, fully computer controlled, state of the art (at least it was way back in 2015!) generator section with 480v output: you just know some clever fellow will come up with a reasonable priced AC convertor eventually...... In twenty five years, junkyards all over the world will be filling up with old EVs and just like today, hobbyists, experimenters and just plain eccentrics will be using them as a toy store and supply shop.

Thanks for such a helpful and comprehensive response. So the morale is 'use it or lose it'. I ask because I will getting my I3REx in early April and one of the first journeys - not planned when I placed the order - is to attend a wedding in area where charging could well be an issue.

As I understand it, the Rex petrol tank will be drained at the annual service (to get rid of potentially old petrol). That being the case, I plan to arrive at the annual service with the gauge on zero (we now know that there is a significant amount still there because of the reduced "capacity" of the US tank because of the software block.

Hengus said:
I ask because I will getting my I3REx in early April and one of the first journeys - not planned when I placed the order - is to attend a wedding in area where charging could well be an issue.

I hope you're not the one who's got to bring the rings! ;)

I'm sure it'll be a fun journey!

I've had mine two days and the REX has done about 150 miles of the 320 miles I've stuck on it. I'll let you know in a weeks time if I need a replacement as I'm doing 120 miles per day ;-). Just under half on the REX as I don't have workplace charging.

Best to stick to 65 on fast roads to stop the SOC dropping. I ran the tank dry this morning - stuck the maintain SOC on and used it up on the way to work instead of the way home, so I can get cheaper fuel before getting on the motorway. I'll run the battery down to about 12.5% on the way home (8 or 9 miles range) and then once I'm that far from home switch off the REX and run the battery down to empty as it's all slow urban roads on the last few miles. Did it last night and the REX kicked in at 6.5% about 1 mile from home.

Hengus said:
Thanks. Looking at the state of the Ecotricity Fast Charging network, REX may be needed for some months to come for any long journeys.

I've had my REX since November and have done 5000 miles including lots of UK motorway trips.

It is a great motorway car. I'll always take it in preference to my wife's Range Rover Evoque. The driver assist package is just amazing - I expected to do feet-free motorway driving but feet-free, safe, a-road driving was an unexpected bonus and I seek out motorway jams to experience it steering itself.

Sadly, You can't rely on ecotricity's CCS chargers. The poor guys there must be close to despair sometimes. Their chargers are made by DBT and you'll read lots of comments about them here and elsewhere. When they work, they are great but a half hour charge will only give you 50miles of 70mph driving in our winter temperatures.

Forget the motorway AC chargers - you'll sit in McDonalds squinting at the Bmw app willing the range numbers to increase. A coffee, a Big Mac, 10 emails and a couple of phone calls equals 7 or 8 miles of range. Waiting for the range figure on the BMW app to increase is like watching paint dry!

However, as long as you keep your speed at or below 70mph and switch the REX in at 6-7 miles range (sorry US readers - for us that's just an iDrive click), you can drive all day - the electric range won't drop any further and you'll have all that amazing performance. I have more bladder anxiety than range anxiety! There's a slight sense of directional instability in windy conditions but it never actually deviates off line - it just helps to keep me awake.

Overall, I'm delighted and Scott & Dominic at Dick Lovett, BMW in Bristol have been great.

My number plate is quite cool too...

DC 64AMP.

mikehp0 said:
Hengus said:
Thanks. Looking at the state of the Ecotricity Fast Charging network, REX may be needed for some months to come for any long journeys.

I've had my REX since November and have done 5000 miles including lots of UK motorway trips.

It is a great motorway car. I'll always take it in preference to my wife's Range Rover Evoque. The driver assist package is just amazing - I expected to do feet-free motorway driving but feet-free, safe, a-road driving was an unexpected bonus and I seek out motorway jams to experience it steering itself.

Sadly, You can't rely on ecotricity's CCS chargers. The poor guys there must be close to despair sometimes. Their chargers are made by DBT and you'll read lots of comments about them here and elsewhere. When they work, they are great but a half hour charge will only give you 50miles of 70mph driving in our winter temperatures.

Forget the motorway AC chargers - you'll sit in McDonalds squinting at the Bmw app willing the range numbers to increase. A coffee, a Big Mac, 10 emails and a couple of phone calls equals 7 or 8 miles of range. Waiting for the range figure on the BMW app to increase is like watching paint dry!

However, as long as you keep your speed at or below 70mph and switch the REX in at 6-7 miles range (sorry US readers - for us that's just an iDrive click), you can drive all day - the electric range won't drop any further and you'll have all that amazing performance. I have more bladder anxiety than range anxiety! There's a slight sense of directional instability in windy conditions but it never actually deviates off line - it just helps to keep me awake.

Overall, I'm delighted and Scott & Dominic at Dick Lovett, BMW in Bristol have been great.

My number plate is quite cool too...

DC 64AMP.

Mike: Yours is the most amusing (literally LOL) post I have seen on the various i3 boards. Keep up the good driving and reporting. I'm reduced to getting my giggles out of my "Sustainable Irony" bumper sticker.

17967385-lg.jpg

Hengus said:
...one of the first journeys is to attend a wedding in area where charging could well be an issue.
Fear not! We picked up our Rex and went on a 700-mile round trip to the Lake district only three days later. This was what I posted elsewhere on this forum:

In the UK, I have the benefit of being able to switch the Rex on (and off!) whenever the battery is at or below 75%. My long-range (and the longest so far is 700 miles!) modus operandi is now to switch the Rex on ASAP after 75% battery is achieved.
Then run until it's empty (or almost empty) and drive to the next service station on battery and refill. On motorways that seems to be every 90-95 miles at 70-75mph.
Remember to switch the Rex back on again as soon as you leave the service station!

On a 700-mile round trip I never recharged the battery at all, and never had any range anxiety. In fact, on the way home, I deliberately switched off the Rex so I could find out what happened when it got to the USA 6% mark: it simply switched the Rex back on and I'd used as little petrol as possible. I feel really sorry for our American colleagues, because they have bigger hills than we do in the UK, so the lack of Rex control can really hurt the i3's attractiveness.

Using the car this way doesn't please the purists but it avoids me having to have a second, ICE, car just for longer journeys, and I can enjoy the i3 all the time.

FrancisJeffries said:
Using the car this way doesn't please the purists but it avoids me having to have a second, ICE, car just for longer journeys, and I can enjoy the i3 all the time.

Thanks. Good to know that the Rex offers the best of both Worlds - short distance economy and long distance utility.

Back