rex range in the uk winter time

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busaman

i drove my rex on battery only on the back roads and villages up and down a few hills with an average speed of 35mph and managed 5.2m/kwh which i think works out pretty much 100 miles possible on battery but i only did 50 miles so i couldn't do a full test any one else with similar results.

There are others that achieve those numbers, but they are in the minority. But, slower speeds, up and down, there isn't much drag at lower speeds, and you're regenerating periodically, so it should be better than normal. If you have a compatible phone or tablet, you can download the app from BMW I, and see what the community's average is.

i must admit mostly i am at 3.7m/kWh. but the 5.2m/kWh was with the battery's cold 1c no precon car outside and the return trip was 6 hours later so the battery would need to warm up again and seat heater on.

60, maximum 70 miles in winter on batteries alone, is my experience.

Below 5c, batteries severely compromised. 5 - 10c OK, above 10c almost acceptable.

Just sayin'

You might find this interesting.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/02/20150218-michalek.html

Based on the data in here, I would suggest that between 5 deg C and 35 deg C the battery performance is good. At -5 deg C you will have lost 15-20% range.

Hi - We collected our REX at the end of January and have covered exactly 5400 miles.
Daily commute of 102 miles, recharge every night at home and an occasional cheeky CCS in the services if I stop for a coffee.
My journey is a bit of a range nightmare; a little 50mph average speed cam section of M3 then 40mi each way at 65-70mph.
I have seen 5.9 mi/kWh and have covered 85mi+ on a charge (56mph on the cruise control), but rarely.
The attached shows stats to date and a comparison with my old car. Hope it helps someone, please feel free to ask questions!

main.php

It looks like you're paying about 27p per kWh. Is that right? Even on an Economy 7 tariff, I pay less than 14p per unit for daytime, and less than 7p per unit at night. You might want to consider swapping to Ecotricity?

As a matter of interest, I'm paying 14.09p/kWh including standing charge to SSE. I don't have economy rates. But I DO have PV panels and get 17.7p/kWh for all I generate! :D
I try to charge the car when the sun's shining, of course.

PhilH said:
It looks like you're paying about 27p per kWh. Is that right? Even on an Economy 7 tariff, I pay less than 14p per unit for daytime, and less than 7p per unit at night. You might want to consider swapping to Ecotricity?

Hi Phil - nope. I used the Tariff Comparison Rate for my supplier and the fixed rate I'm on (12.63/kWh).
I think the confusion comes because I included all of the unleaded I've bought in the total cost (£141.65 was on petrol, for 1404 miles).

Francis, we're just waiting for our PV installation as we speak :D

is there somewhere in the menu that tell you total kw/hrs used if so i must have missed it.

busaman said:
is there somewhere in the menu that tell you total kw/hrs used if so i must have missed it.

In the iRemote app you can get the total distance driven on electric under the stats tab.

POBLondon said:
busaman said:

In the iRemote app you can get the total distance driven on electric under the stats tab.

But it isn't completely reliable. I had a longish trip early in my ownership when the BMW servers were down and iRemote wasn't being updated and it seemed to default to treating all the mileage as REx until comms appeared to return as RTTI re-appeared after having been absent. I had expected that the car itself would store the ICE and electric mileages and refresh the server and hence the data shown by iRemote but not so.

Back