Rex Gas Cap Won't Open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boltoni3

I'm pressing button to open gas filler cap (below steering wheel by door) - message displays saying something about Refuel at 75%. I'm just below 75% but the external flap won't open - so I can get at the filler cap. I had this problem at 25% and took it in for servicing and was told it was fixed. I rarely put gas in - but doesn't make sense to me that there would be a requirement to have fuel drop so low before refuelling is possible? Anyone having trouble with filler cap?

Consult the owner's manual on refueling details.

After you push the button, watch the display for release status. The percent status indicates tank depressurization, not fuel level. The fuel tank must finish depressurizing before it will allow access. If this routine does not complete successfully, you can manually open it. Open the frunk and find the green gas flap pull button on the passenger side in back (shown in the manual). Disengage the button and gently pull on it until the flap releases.

Thanks - the depressurization status does not display (just reads 95% then shows "!" requiring service). Of course the flap won't open either when I push it externally.

I guess it's back to BMW for servicing. It wouldn't open when I was there 2 weeks ago when I tested it after they serviced it - told me flap won't release until the fuel level is down to 25%? Doesn't make sense to me that you can only refuel when tanks is at 25% or less.

I'm happy to report that BMW Toronto scheduled my repair quickly - I picked up the car today and the system appears to be operating correctly. The shop foreman even video recorded operation of the system prior to my arrival after I asked for assurance that the repair had been successful. I see the readout of the depressurisation - and the flap opens even with tank 3/4 full. I'm told the problem was a pressure sensor. Good to know that the flap doesn't open while the car is charging

When you hit the gas cap door button, is the door supposed to pop open automatically? Mine makes an unlocking noise and I hear it depressurize, but the door doesn't pop out unless I push in on it and then it pops open. Just wondering if I got a bad door or something.

Pop the frunk, on the side that has the fuel filler door you will find a green circle, I believe it has a fuel symbol on it, pull it out, pulling the slack, then pull it just a little harder and you'll be able to open the full filler door. My e46 had the same one in the trunk that I had to use once when the car was acting crazy.

Hi,
this is how its supposed to function.
Regards, Steven

MFNATIK said:
When you hit the gas cap door button, is the door supposed to pop open automatically? Mine makes an unlocking noise and I hear it depressurize, but the door doesn't pop out unless I push in on it and then it pops open. Just wondering if I got a bad door or something.

I have 2014 Rex and encountered the same issue. False sensor caused the issues as you guys mentioned, and in North America, BMW issued a recall for the problem.

My car is fixed at no cost and I advised you guys to bring it to any dealership around and ask to fix the problem.

I was very confused by this initially, but found in the end that just holding the button down seems to work without fail. A single press would almost always fail and result in having to pop the frunk (or froot as its known in our house as it's the Front Boot for us in the UK). Mine doesn't always pop open, sometimes needs to be pushed to pop out but always unlocks, I think the pop might just be a bit sticky.

The part that rusts in the gas tank is called the fuel pressure sensor. It is not under recall, it has a technical service bulletin only in the US where they replace it for free under a 10 year extended warranty, every other country they will charge you to replace it for up to $1500.

You can manually open it using the green manual release pull to the right of the windshield washer filler neck or save $1,500 and cut through the hole in the lower peg in the gas filler door, that way if it fails to release, just pull the gas filler door slightly and it will open. Picture of where to cut:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVJorMJftHJL6s2n8

I solved the problem, by preventing the locking pin to be able to lock the gas cap cover.
I used doublesided tape to stick a small metal plate in front of the pin, so that it can not move out anymore and cannot lock the gas cap cover.
I only hope, the doublesided tape will be lasting a long time.
Only downside: gas can be stolen now. But it will be a disapointment for the thief. There's onlky a few litres available....
The fluid on the photo is rainwater.

benzinedop.jpg

Back