Trip planning help!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imolazhp

Hey everybody! We are real close to pulling the trigger on a REx, but we might have to travel to get it and drive it back. I have used a few apps on in the past when I had an extended test drive, but they seem to focus on local needs, not trip planning. Can someone suggest an app or a website for this?

If anyone is interested, or just bored, the car is in Atlanta (Global Imports BMW, near 75 and 285) and we live in Memphis, TN, basically at the Pyramid (I-40 and the Mississippi River). Anyone care to help tackle this puzzle? We would like to take advantage of as many quick-charges as possible. We also have a place to stay overnight outside of Nashville, Lebanon, TN. Terrain-wise, however, going trough Birmingham is more flat I believe. Chattanooga has some large elevation changes.

If the trip is going to take forever then we will see about shipping the car. I kind of like the idea of getting very intimate with the car on a road trip back however. I did the same when I bought my e46 in Dallas in 2006. Completely different cars of course, but the bonding time was great. I understand the REx isn't intended for these types of trips, at least not without hacking the REx, but I would appreciate any help or comments both good and bad. We're new to the EV scene except for the i3 drive event and an extended test drive.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a 6-hr trip, assuming no stops. I don't recommend attempting that. You can read about my Houston-to-Austin trip in my i3 BEV here: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2329&start=10#p21551

You'll have a much easier time in a REx than I did in a BEV but you still won't enjoy stopping to charge or refuel every 60 miles, or running in reduced power mode on the REx if you can't find a charging station.

If you get the professional navigation system (part of the technology & driving package) and your BMW client advisor can activate your navigation system before you leave the dealership (mine couldn't), it can help you plan your trip, but has not so far impressed me with its ability (or inability, rather) to find charging stations.

ChargePoint has a trip planner on their web site: https://na.chargepoint.com/cpn_plan_trip

So does PlugShare: http://www.plugshare.com/ (click Trip Planner in the top navigation bar)

My PlugShare app is not showing any fast chargers between Atlanta & Memphis, so you might have to rely on the Rex. If that is the case it would be much easier if you had the Rex hold function coded and even better if you also had the hidden 0.5 gal in the gas tank unlocked. Then, after you state of charge falls below 75% you can just turn on the REX and run until dry, then stop at the next gas station, refill and so on. You won't have to worry about limp mode on the long hills as you would have enough charge. The state of charge level will creep down but starting at 75% you would have an adequate buffer. Coding the Rex hold & fuel tank is easy and fast if you know how to do it and have the cable and software. However, it is very dependent on the car SW version as additional files are needed to be able to code newer versions. You can ask the dealer for the SW version, buy the cable and coding software but have to prepare very well to be able to code without any problems. There are web sites that would code these functions fort you for about $150 (I believe you just need to give them the VIN), put it on a flash stick and then all you have to do is plug in the stick to activate the functions. I think this might be a more viable option. I cannot recommend one as I've done my own coding but you can see references in this forum and on the i3 Facebook page. Good luck.
BTW, I got my BEV from Chicago, 300 miles away, but driving it back wasn't an option :) just rented an U-haul truck&trailer and hauled it home - was pretty painless.

See my post about my 500 mile daytrip to Tucson in my REx for tips on techniques.... Just bring the dvdinmotion files on a thumb drive, load them in the parking lot when you pick-up your car, and then turn on the REx at 75% SOC. Then you can just drive home at 65. For a one-off road trip, stopping for gas every hour or so is no great chore and you could always carry a 1.5 gal gas can in the frunk of you are worried about running out between stations. Unless you are stopping for a meal, you should have no need to plug the car into a charger if you use this method: I was able to arrive at my destination with over 50% SOC remaining and did not charge along the way.

ryandesign said:
Looks like a 6-hr trip, assuming no stops. I don't recommend attempting that. You can read about my Houston-to-Austin trip in my i3 BEV here: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2329&start=10#p21551

You'll have a much easier time in a REx than I did in a BEV but you still won't enjoy stopping to charge or refuel every 60 miles, or running in reduced power mode on the REx if you can't find a charging station.

If you get the professional navigation system (part of the technology & driving package) and your BMW client advisor can activate your navigation system before you leave the dealership (mine couldn't), it can help you plan your trip, but has not so far impressed me with its ability (or inability, rather) to find charging stations.

ChargePoint has a trip planner on their web site: https://na.chargepoint.com/cpn_plan_trip

So does PlugShare: http://www.plugshare.com/ (click Trip Planner in the top navigation bar)

Thank you for the links and your comments, it took me so long to get my response written that others responded too. See big post below all of the responses.

rtanov said:
My PlugShare app is not showing any fast chargers between Atlanta & Memphis, so you might have to rely on the Rex. If that is the case it would be much easier if you had the Rex hold function coded and even better if you also had the hidden 0.5 gal in the gas tank unlocked. Then, after you state of charge falls below 75% you can just turn on the REX and run until dry, then stop at the next gas station, refill and so on. You won't have to worry about limp mode on the long hills as you would have enough charge. The state of charge level will creep down but starting at 75% you would have an adequate buffer. Coding the Rex hold & fuel tank is easy and fast if you know how to do it and have the cable and software. However, it is very dependent on the car SW version as additional files are needed to be able to code newer versions. You can ask the dealer for the SW version, buy the cable and coding software but have to prepare very well to be able to code without any problems. There are web sites that would code these functions fort you for about $150 (I believe you just need to give them the VIN), put it on a flash stick and then all you have to do is plug in the stick to activate the functions. I think this might be a more viable option. I cannot recommend one as I've done my own coding but you can see references in this forum and on the i3 Facebook page. Good luck.
BTW, I got my BEV from Chicago, 300 miles away, but driving it back wasn't an option :) just rented an U-haul truck&trailer and hauled it home - was pretty painless.

I spent awhile making up some routes and then I had to do some other work, my research shows the same thing, no fast chargers, which sucks. Thank you for the additional info, I wish I had more experience coding, I've had my e46 for almost 9 years, but I don't have a windoze computer anymore and I thought that was part of the requirement, or perhaps it was for older BMW's. I'll look a bit further into it but if you don't mind, see my huge post below and tell me what you think, are my charging times unrealistic? I still haven't googled if Nissan dealers care if you charge at their plugs, I tried to keep highway range with a full battery under 110 miles including full tank of REx. We have a CRV with a 3500lb hitch on it, but uHaul won't rent us a trailer to pull it back on, unfortunately that is the only vehicle we have available with a hitch.

WoodlandHills said:
See my post about my 500 mile daytrip to Tucson in my REx for tips on techniques.... Just bring the dvdinmotion files on a thumb drive, load them in the parking lot when you pick-up your car, and then turn on the REx at 75% SOC. Then you can just drive home at 65. For a one-off road trip, stopping for gas every hour or so is no great chore and you could always carry a 1.5 gal gas can in the frunk of you are worried about running out between stations. Unless you are stopping for a meal, you should have no need to plug the car into a charger if you use this method: I was able to arrive at my destination with over 50% SOC remaining and did not charge along the way.

I will indeed check out your post, thank you for responding. I'll look further into the coding just as rtanov suggested too, it might be worth the money to go ahead and get someone to make me one and send it to me as long as it works, lol. I would assume it would be best to ask and verify that the dealer has updated it to the latest software and then have someone make me a thumb drive for that software. I'll have the VIN when I start making the deal, they have two twins, but I'll ask for it to get insurance rolling and then verify before ordering the thumb drive. Check out my long post below I put together about routes and times, if I don't get it coded or if the thumb drive doesn't work right, I might have to use one of these two routes as a backup.

I started mapping a route taking advantage of our free place to stay in Lebanon but it worked out to being a 3-day trip with 12 hour days, maximizing battery usage, called it Method 1, easy first day, then two long days back to back. Then I mapped out a route, Method 2, just going back through Birmingham, the way we would go to ATL. 2 days, still long, but not optimizing battery usage, just getting home. I then revised my first route, Method 1, making day 1 more time efficient, but then it seemed to make day 2 a loss until I realized that it would give us a chance to spend some time with part of the family as opposed to just crashing while the car is charging and leaving the next day. Method 1 shows a 3-day trip attempting to optimize battery usage for the first two days until its time to get on home. Method 2 gives us an extra day (Sunday) should we need it, right now we plan to leave on a Friday.

These plans assume the following.

Max range full charged 125 interstate miles (including REx).
3.5-4 hour level 2 charging time.

________

Method 1

Day 1
Memphis to Atlanta through Birmingham, 400 miles in our e46 ZHP meeting the new owner of the e46 in Atlanta. (6 hours)
Deliver e46 to new owner. (1 hour max, maybe have him meet us at the dealership)
Take delivery of i3. (? hours, should have everything ready, hopefully)
Dealer to Chattanooga, TN 105 miles. (2 hours)
Charge at or near a hotel for the next day, better half can get us a free or cheap room no problem.

Approximately a 10 hour day.

Day 2

Chattanooga to Murfeesboro, TN 105 miles (2 hours)
Charge for a bit, top off the tank (1 hour max)
Murfeesboro, TN to Lebanon, TN 33 miles (1/2 hour)
Charge point doesn't specify what capabilities are at the cracker barrel or the senior center in Lebanon, perhaps have the future father in-law check them out. If level 2, have him meet us there, leave the car to charge, return in 3.5-4 hours.
Tool around with the better half's dad and significant other in the car, he will love it, spend the evening, night and morning with them.
Charge overnight 110v charger.

3.5 hour day if we leave the car and let it charge up on its own, still weary of doing something like this, bonus, spend time with the future father in-law, recover from previous day, prepare for following day.

Day 3

Lebanon, TN to Dickson, TN 75 miles (1.5 hours)
Nissan dealership, will they let you charge there? If not, this leg will be very difficult
If yes, charge for about an hour, top off tank if needed. (1 hour)
Dickson, TN to Holladay, TN 50 miles (1 hour)
Top off tank, look for a plug, take a 1 hour break (1 hour)
Holladay, TN to Jackson, TN 50 miles (1 hour)
Level 2 charger, charge for an hour or two, top off tank (1-2 hours)
Jackson, TN to Mason, TN 50 miles (1 hour)
Top off tank, look for a plug, take a 1 hour break (1 hour)
Mason, TN to home 40 miles (1 hour)

Thats a 10-11 hour day.

________

Method 2

Day 1
Memphis to Atlanta through Birmingham, 400 miles in our e46 ZHP meeting the new owner of the e46 in Atlanta. (6 hours)
Deliver e46 to new owner. (1 hour max, maybe have him meet us at the dealership)
Take delivery of i3. (? hours, should have everything ready, hopefully)
Dealer to Oxford, AL (90 mies) 2 hours
Charge at the Nissan Dealership if they will let me, finish charging at a hotel room if possible overnight.

10-12 hour day

Day 2

Oxford, AL to Birmingham 60 miles (1 hour)
Top off battery at a Level 2 charger (2-3 hours?)
Birmingham to Hamilton, Al 100 miles (2 hours)
Top off tank, try to find an outlet and take a break. (1 hour)
Hamilton, Al to Tupelo, MS 50 miles (1 hour)
Tupelo, MS to New Albany, MS 40 miles (1 hour)
Top off tank
New Albany, MS to Holly Springs MS 40 miles (1 hour)
Top off tank, try to find an outlet and take a break (1 hour)
Holly Springs, MS to Memphis International Airport 40 miles (1 hour)
30 minutes of free level 2 charging (1/2 hour)
Top off tank at fuel center near airport
MIA to Home 20 miles (1/2 hour)

Thats a 12-14 hour day.

Google dvdinmotion for i3, it is not coding, but rather a more limited, but much easier alternative. If you just want to unlock your REx and get rid of the U.S. lawyer driven compliance screen in the simplest manner spend the $150 with them. I had it installed on my car, took it in for a software update and it was gone when I picked up the car. I got home, reistalled and it was all back again just as before, plug and play.
Coding seems to be a great thing if you really want to make a bunch of changes to your car: it is cheaper, although you make up for that in it being a more difficult process, and you can change much more of your car in the process than with the dvdinmotion patch. It all depends on what your goals are and how much you like to mess around with computer files and cables.

WoodlandHills said:
Google dvdinmotion for i3, it is not coding, but rather a more limited, but much easier alternative. If you just want to unlock your REx and get rid of the U.S. lawyer driven compliance screen in the simplest manner spend the $150 with them. I had it installed on my car, took it in for a software update and it was gone when I picked up the car. I got home, reistalled and it was all back again just as before, plug and play.
Coding seems to be a great thing if you really want to make a bunch of changes to your car: it is cheaper, although you make up for that in it being a more difficult process, and you can change much more of your car in the process than with the dvdinmotion patch. It all depends on what your goals are and how much you like to mess around with computer files and cables.

Wow, that looks like the way to go! With coding all of your coding gets wiped out after a software update, but will DVDinMotion push out an update if their method stops working?

Alternatively I could see if someone in the ATL that codes could meet up with me and enable all of those features. Slide them some cash or treat them to a meal in exchange.

All of that trip planning might have been a waste, lol.

Quick newb question that I might have already seen the answer to, but want to verify, will it hurt the REx if you unintentionally run it out of fuel? I would do my best not to, but if I leave the car coded and hold state of charge enabled, it could possibly happen at some point during ownership.

imolazhp said:
WoodlandHills said:

Wow, that looks like the way to go! With coding all of your coding gets wiped out after a software update, but will DVDinMotion push out an update if their method stops working?

Alternatively I could see if someone in the ATL that codes could meet up with me and enable all of those features. Slide them some cash or treat them to a meal in exchange.

Note that DVDInMotion says their software requires Navigation Professional so you will need to go the coding route if you didn't get the Technology package on your i3.

imolazhp said:
Quick newb question that I might have already seen the answer to, but want to verify, will it hurt the REx if you unintentionally run it out of fuel? I would do my best not to, but if I leave the car coded and hold state of charge enabled, it could possibly happen at some point during ownership.

In NA you can't really "run out of fuel" since just like the battery there is a large amount of unusable capacity. In the case of the fuel tank it is there to comply with CARB regulations and is part of the same arrangement that keeps you from having full control over your REx in exchange for emission credits for BMW. The computer will cut off the supply of fuel to the REx to simulate a 1.9 gallon tank when there is in reality 2.4 gallons in there when full. Since BMW see no harm in a strategy that shuts off the fuel to keep CARB happy there is no reason you cannot do the same. It's not like you could introduce air into the system since there will always be .5 gallons in the tank when the REx stops running.

It won't hurt the engine since it won't actually run out of fuel! The computer will stop the engine while there is still gasoline in the tank. Now, how much, not sure and that depends on whether you've coded it. The tank holds something like 2.4 US gallons, but the USA delivered software will only let you use 1.9G of it to meet the CARB rules (which, modifying the REx will defeat).

As opposed to a normal vehicle, the REx relies on both a fuel pump and tank pressurization to get fuel back to the engine. As a result, it takes a moment to open the filler since it must bleed off the pressure first.

There are VERY few CCS charging units on the east coast of the US. Some are planned, but it will likely take awhile. The situation is a little better in CA, but it will still be a long time before they're everywhere and reliable.

If you are not pushing the vehicle and aren't trying to fly up long grades, you may never notice any problems with the REx as it is delivered. Otherwise, if you let it get the charge too low, the REx can't keep up except on relatively level cruise.

imolazhp said:
WoodlandHills said:

They have told me that they will, I can only take them at their word. So far, I have had one software update and it reinstalled with no problems
I am sure that a good BMW tuning shop in ATL could take care of it for you if you called in advance to allow them time to research it before you get there.

I don't know the roads you're on but you will have no restrictions with a ReX. Check out the fuel/gas stations and if they're further apart than 60 miles then get a petrol/gas can. Then just drive it. If you think you have some hills coming then slow down a bit to 55mph or so and the ReX will provide plenty of charge.

When you get home you can plan to be more electric but don't worry on this journey.

Don't forget to set the L1 and L2 charging rates to "Max" and charging to "Immediate" in iDrive. I didn't do this and couldn't understand why L2 charging at a public charging station was proceeding so slowly. I learned later that BMW doesn't deliver the i3 with charging rates set to "Max". However, if your father-in-law's 120 v. outlet is shared with other loads, you might need to reduce the L1 charging rate from "Max" to prevent tripping the circuit breaker. At L1 "Max", the included Occasional Use Charger will draw 12 amps which is fine for an unshared 15-amp circuit.

Yes, the coding software runs only on Windows, but I've had no problems coding my i3 on my Mac running OS X 10.10. I just downloaded a free copy of Windows Technical Preview 10 from Microsoft and a free copy of VirtualBox from Oracle and ran the coding software in that.

When planning your trip, I encourage you to assume everything will go wrong, so that you can be pleasantly surprised when some things go right. In my case, I made a somewhat optimistic plan, and didn't anticipate some of the things that went wrong, so I ended up having a rather long day and stayed awake for 23 hours straight.

For example, BMW advertises that you can recharge your i3's 18.8 kWh battery from empty at a level 2 station in 3.5 hours. That assumes an EVSE that delivers 7.4 kW, in other words 32A ✕ 230V, such as you might install at home in the U.S., or might find in Europe. But the electrical grid in the U.S. is different, and many public EVSEs here provide 32A ✕ 208V, which is only 6.6 kW, which means they will recharge your i3 from empty in 4 hours. I've never seen my car charge faster than 5.7 kW (and I've only seen that once), at which rate it would recharge from empty in 4.5 hours. I had made my plans based on BMW's advertised 3.5-hour recharge time, which is not realistic if you don't know the power specifics of the particular station. I also hadn't understood that some public EVSEs have two ports, and if two cars are charging at the same time, then they share the station's power and each charge at half-speed, so no more than 3.3 kW for a public 6.6-kW EVSE, at which rate it would take 8 hours to fully charge.

The EPA estimated electric range of the 2014 i3 BEV is 81 miles, but is only 72 miles for the REx. Under BMW's advertised ideal conditions, that means adding 20.5 miles of range to your REx each hour charging at 7.4 kW, or 18 miles per hour at 6.6 kW, or 16 miles per hour at 5.7 kW, or 9 miles per hour at 3.3 kW.

The level 1 occasional-use cable uses 12A ✕ 120V at the maximum setting, which is 1.44 kW, which BMW says will recharge the car from empty in 20 hours, adding 3.6 miles of range per hour. At the reduced setting, which you may have to use if you're not sure the wiring can withstand 12A continuous, it's 8A ✕ 120V (0.96 kW), which should mean it would take 30 hours to charge from empty, or 2.4 miles per hour.

This is oversimplified. The charge rate is not constant; it tapers off as the battery gets quite full.

The i3 is designed to be used in city traffic; you won't achieve 72 miles per charge driving 70 mph on the highway. Assume you'll get 10% less range (so let's say 65 miles on a full charge), and that charging will therefore add 10% less range than computed above.

Check which network each of the EVSEs you plan to use are a member of, then get memberships in each network; you may have to wait for each network to mail you an RFID card that you'll be using when you charge. Memberships tend to be free, but some networks take a long time to mail out cards. I didn't receive my Blink card until a month after I had already picked up the car, despite ordering it weeks before. Some networks like Blink let you use your smartphone to initiate charging sessions in lieu of an RFID card. If you don't already have a ChargePoint membership, you can wait to set that up until you're at the dealership; they'll give you ("ChargeNow"-branded) ChargePoint cards with the car.

Also, be prepared for not being able to find an EVSE that's shown on the map (the car's map is probably well-curated, but is far from complete, while PlugShare, ChargePoint and other apps may show chargers that no longer exist or are shown miles away from where they actually are); not being able to reach an EVSE you've found (it's in a parking lot or parking garage that's closed); having the EVSE already be in use by another EV (apps and the car's map may be able to tell you this in advance); having the EVSE blocked by a non-EV ("getting ICE'd"); having the EVSE not work (is damaged; is not powered on; won't read your RFID card; won't actually charge the car).

Keep an eye on the cost of each station too. Free is great, but those that charge a fee are often more expensive than a comparable amount of gas. The REx engine is rated at 37 mpg on the highway, and gas in your area seems to be around $2/gallon, so that's 5.4¢ per mile; compare that to how much it would cost to charge and how much range you would get out of it.

ryandesign said:
Yes, the coding software runs only on Windows, but I've had no problems coding my i3 on my Mac running OS X 10.10. I just downloaded a free copy of Windows Technical Preview 10 from Microsoft and a free copy of VirtualBox from Oracle and ran the coding software in that.
How much disk space did this installation require, including VirtualBox, if possible? My 2008 MacBook doesn't have much free space on its SSD.

If Windows Technical Preview 10 expires, when does it expire?

VirtualBox itself is under 500MB. VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop also work and are probably similarly sized but cost money. My virtual machine is 31GB right now. I put it on a USB drive so it wouldn't take up space on my SSD.

I imagine Windows Technical Preview 10 will expire but I don't know when. If it does, there are other ways to get free time-limited versions from Microsoft, educational discounts are available to some, or one can just buy a Windows license.

MarkN said:
Note that DVDInMotion says their software requires Navigation Professional so you will need to go the coding route if you didn't get the Technology package on your i3.

Thank you, yes, the car has every option except upgraded audio.

WoodlandHills said:
In NA you can't really "run out of fuel" since just like the battery there is a large amount of unusable capacity. In the case of the fuel tank it is there to comply with CARB regulations and is part of the same arrangement that keeps you from having full control over your REx in exchange for emission credits for BMW. The computer will cut off the supply of fuel to the REx to simulate a 1.9 gallon tank when there is in reality 2.4 gallons in there when full. Since BMW see no harm in a strategy that shuts off the fuel to keep CARB happy there is no reason you cannot do the same. It's not like you could introduce air into the system since there will always be .5 gallons in the tank when the REx stops running

Excellent explanation, now once I code it to take advantage of the entire 2.4gal, I would assume that the computer still shuts it off after 2.4 gallons have been consumed? Perhaps the tank is still larger than 2.4gal to keep from running it out of fuel even in other markets?

jadnashuanh said:
It won't hurt the engine since it won't actually run out of fuel! The computer will stop the engine while there is still gasoline in the tank. Now, how much, not sure and that depends on whether you've coded it. The tank holds something like 2.4 US gallons, but the USA delivered software will only let you use 1.9G of it to meet the CARB rules (which, modifying the REx will defeat).

As opposed to a normal vehicle, the REx relies on both a fuel pump and tank pressurization to get fuel back to the engine. As a result, it takes a moment to open the filler since it must bleed off the pressure first.

There are VERY few CCS charging units on the east coast of the US. Some are planned, but it will likely take awhile. The situation is a little better in CA, but it will still be a long time before they're everywhere and reliable.

If you are not pushing the vehicle and aren't trying to fly up long grades, you may never notice any problems with the REx as it is delivered. Otherwise, if you let it get the charge too low, the REx can't keep up except on relatively level cruise.

Thank you for the additional info. I think that if I make the deal on the car I will probably hop on the ATL i3 FB group and see if someone that can do coding will meet me shortly after I take deliver. I'll look for a cheap windoze computer when I get back with the car. I could look at maybe using an old desktop from work with a long cable.

WoodlandHills said:
They have told me that they will, I can only take them at their word. So far, I have had one software update and it reinstalled with no problems.

I am sure that a good BMW tuning shop in ATL could take care of it for you if you called in advance to allow them time to research it before you get there.

Great idea! Thanks! We don't really have those in Memphis, lol.

janner said:
I don't know the roads you're on but you will have no restrictions with a ReX. Check out the fuel/gas stations and if they're further apart than 60 miles then get a petrol/gas can. Then just drive it. If you think you have some hills coming then slow down a bit to 55mph or so and the ReX will provide plenty of charge.

When you get home you can plan to be more electric but don't worry on this journey.

Thanks, I was planning the fuel stops at a max of about 50-55 miles apart, but a lot less than that incase of traffic or other loads (a/c, etc).

alohart said:
Don't forget to set the L1 and L2 charging rates to "Max" and charging to "Immediate" in iDrive. I didn't do this and couldn't understand why L2 charging at a public charging station was proceeding so slowly. I learned later that BMW doesn't deliver the i3 with charging rates set to "Max". However, if your father-in-law's 120 v. outlet is shared with other loads, you might need to reduce the L1 charging rate from "Max" to prevent tripping the circuit breaker. At L1 "Max", the included Occasional Use Charger will draw 12 amps which is fine for an unshared 15-amp circuit.

Will do! I think this was my problem when I had the extended test drive vehicle, I bet it was set on the slowest charge rates possible. One of the reasons I wasn't sure if the i3 would work for me.

ryandesign said:

When planning your trip, I encourage you to assume everything will go wrong, so that you can be pleasantly surprised when some things go right. In my case, I made a somewhat optimistic plan, and didn't anticipate some of the things that went wrong, so I ended up having a rather long day and stayed awake for 23 hours straight.

For example, BMW advertises that you can recharge your i3's 18.8 kWh battery from empty at a level 2 station in 3.5 hours. That assumes an EVSE that delivers 7.4 kW, in other words 32A ✕ 230V, such as you might install at home in the U.S., or might find in Europe. But the electrical grid in the U.S. is different, and many public EVSEs here provide 32A ✕ 208V, which is only 6.6 kW, which means they will recharge your i3 from empty in 4 hours. I've never seen my car charge faster than 5.7 kW (and I've only seen that once), at which rate it would recharge from empty in 4.5 hours. I had made my plans based on BMW's advertised 3.5-hour recharge time, which is not realistic if you don't know the power specifics of the particular station. I also hadn't understood that some public EVSEs have two ports, and if two cars are charging at the same time, then they share the station's power and each charge at half-speed, so no more than 3.3 kW for a public 6.6-kW EVSE, at which rate it would take 8 hours to fully charge.

The EPA estimated electric range of the 2014 i3 BEV is 81 miles, but is only 72 miles for the REx. Under BMW's advertised ideal conditions, that means adding 20.5 miles of range to your REx each hour charging at 7.4 kW, or 18 miles per hour at 6.6 kW, or 16 miles per hour at 5.7 kW, or 9 miles per hour at 3.3 kW.

The level 1 occasional-use cable uses 12A ✕ 120V at the maximum setting, which is 1.44 kW, which BMW says will recharge the car from empty in 20 hours, adding 3.6 miles of range per hour. At the reduced setting, which you may have to use if you're not sure the wiring can withstand 12A continuous, it's 8A ✕ 120V (0.96 kW), which should mean it would take 30 hours to charge from empty, or 2.4 miles per hour.

This is oversimplified. The charge rate is not constant; it tapers off as the battery gets quite full.

The i3 is designed to be used in city traffic; you won't achieve 72 miles per charge driving 70 mph on the highway. Assume you'll get 10% less range (so let's say 65 miles on a full charge), and that charging will therefore add 10% less range than computed above.

Check which network each of the EVSEs you plan to use are a member of, then get memberships in each network; you may have to wait for each network to mail you an RFID card that you'll be using when you charge. Memberships tend to be free, but some networks take a long time to mail out cards. I didn't receive my Blink card until a month after I had already picked up the car, despite ordering it weeks before. Some networks like Blink let you use your smartphone to initiate charging sessions in lieu of an RFID card. If you don't already have a ChargePoint membership, you can wait to set that up until you're at the dealership; they'll give you ("ChargeNow"-branded) ChargePoint cards with the car.

Also, be prepared for not being able to find an EVSE that's shown on the map (the car's map is probably well-curated, but is far from complete, while PlugShare, ChargePoint and other apps may show chargers that no longer exist or are shown miles away from where they actually are); not being able to reach an EVSE you've found (it's in a parking lot or parking garage that's closed); having the EVSE already be in use by another EV (apps and the car's map may be able to tell you this in advance); having the EVSE blocked by a non-EV ("getting ICE'd"); having the EVSE not work (is damaged; is not powered on; won't read your RFID card; won't actually charge the car).

Keep an eye on the cost of each station too. Free is great, but those that charge a fee are often more expensive than a comparable amount of gas. The REx engine is rated at 37 mpg on the highway, and gas in your area seems to be around $2/gallon, so that's 5.4¢ per mile; compare that to how much it would cost to charge and how much range you would get out of it.

What a great wealth of knowledge in this post! I keep going back and forth and we are starting to lean towards having the e46 buyer come on to Memphis to get the car we are selling and just have this new car shipped to me.

________

A appreciate the information and input from everyone. I'm going to start the dealing tomorrow, wish me luck! MSRP $56,050 hoping for $12,500 off ($7,000 off plus $5500 back from BMWFS for leasing plus $500 "build out cash" hate that I missed March's $2000 build-out cash, but not sure if their initial discount was $7000 off back then). My FICO is in the second to top tier (still best MF of 0.00125, equivalent of 3%), going to look at 24, 30 and 36 month leases, see which works best. If I get the deal where I want it, I'll then ask to see if they can ship it do me economically. Then decide to continue with this trip or just let it be delivered to my house.

The nice thing about the i3 is that if you do get caught in traffic, it's a lot more efficient than an ICE, and actually doesn't use a huge amount just sitting there, unlike an ICE that keeps the motor running (assuming you don't have start/stop). And, at lower speeds, with the less drag, that helps quite a bit, too. IOW, within reason, slower speeds can extend your driving distance a significant amount. The REx will usually stop when you stop. One thing to keep in mind, the REx output is variable, and the slower you go, the slower the REx goes. To keep it running at max capacity, the cutoff speed is around 56mph...go slower than that, the REx slows down, too.

jadnashuanh said:
The nice thing about the i3 is that if you do get caught in traffic, it's a lot more efficient than an ICE, and actually doesn't use a huge amount just sitting there, unlike an ICE that keeps the motor running (assuming you don't have start/stop). And, at lower speeds, with the less drag, that helps quite a bit, too. IOW, within reason, slower speeds can extend your driving distance a significant amount. The REx will usually stop when you stop. One thing to keep in mind, the REx output is variable, and the slower you go, the slower the REx goes. To keep it running at max capacity, the cutoff speed is around 56mph...go slower than that, the REx slows down, too.

Good to know, thanks!

Back