Is the Gas Tank 1.9 gallons or 2.4?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F10M5

Did my first fill up yesterday after depleting the battery and got another warning telling me that the Rex had less than 8 miles range left. Pumped in 1.85 gallons of gas. Did I really only have .05 gallons left? Also, what is everyone's experience if I ran it down to zero. Is there still a little reserve like "normal" cars or when it says you are done, the car dies? How much further can you realistically go?

As Bill Clinton once said: "it depends upon your definition of "is"." The tank is a 2.4 gallon tank in all markets, but in NA you can only access 1.9 of them. This is part of the deal BMW made with CARB to get emission credits, along with taking away full control of the REx.
As far as range, Your Mileage May Vary, but in my case the REx consistently died at 2 miles past zero on the Guess-O-Meter, although once it went almost 5.

The tank is 9 litres. This is 2 Imperial gallons and 2.4 US gallons.

In the UK 9 litres and 2 Imp Gall are accessible.

The computer shuts off the car before it actually runs out of fuel. This may also be true with the 'unrestricted' volume everyone not impacted by the US CARB rules has, but I'm not certain. While there are fuel filters, it's not great for any vehicle with a high pressure fuel pump to actually run out of fuel because the fuel is both a coolant and lubricant for them and who knows what may be in the 'bottom' of the tank. My guess is that the logic wouldn't keep trying to start the REx when it knows there's no fuel left, so that is probably not an issue.

WoodlandHills said:
As Bill Clinton once said: "it depends upon your definition of "is"." The tank is a 2.4 gallon tank in all markets, but in NA you can only access 1.9 of them. This is part of the deal BMW made with CARB to get emission credits, along with taking away full control of the REx.
As far as range, Your Mileage May Vary, but in my case the REx consistently died at 2 miles past zero on the Guess-O-Meter, although once it went almost 5.

Damn, you mean I could have gone another 10 miles? I was still showing 8 miles to zero and could have squeezed another 2. Very good to know for next time. So happy I got a Rex. Gives a person so much more freedom to make longer trips. Are you carrying gas with you to be flirting with disaster so much?

If you live in the US, you are only allowed to use about 1.9 US gal of the 2.4 US gal tank. You need to code the car to unlock the additional 0.5 US gal. Search for coding, you'll find lots of information. I coded mine an hour after buying it.

Back