New Motor Mount bolts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jowall

I had to take mine in for service due to a clunking noise on acceleration. The service tech said they'd like to complete a service bulletin for new motor mount bolts for the Rex. It turned out that what they were going to fix preemptively and my problem were one and the same. Any way else bust the bolts yet? I had just used the Rex a bunch the day before and probably hit some pothole or something the day it broke.

John

The 'fix' isn't just for the REx, it applies to the BEV as well. The issue is, as I understand it, fixed by the stronger bolt(s) and a s/w tweak to help better control the motor's power output when you hit a bump. Problem is, if you are accelerating hard, hit a bump to unload the rear enough, it can cause a wheel (or wheels) to spin, then when the car hits the ground, the shock can break a bolt. The stronger bolt helps, as does the new s/w to recognize that situation, and limit torque to the motor so that it can't start turning fast enough to produce the violent shock and damage something. As long as you have decent traction, you'll probably never notice any change.

Plenty have broken their motor mount bolts, one BEV owner broke his 3 times, got the car bought back. By "motor mount" they mean the electric motor as far as I understand, not what is mounting the REx engine. So using your REx most likely had nothing to do with it, most reported breaking their motor mount after hitting a bridge approach where asphalt tends to sink before the concrete bridge causing the car to do a little "hop" up onto the bridge, I have one between work and home, sometimes the passenger rear tire will lift if I hit it too fast, the motion of the wheel going up into the air and then coming back down onto the pavement caused the breaks, or that is my understanding. A stronger bolt in combination with different traction control mapping that comes with the November 2015 and March 2016 updates seems to be working so far. Hopefully you get it back quick!

Just took mine in for an unspecified required service, and was informed about the bolt replacement recall. They will perform that but mentioned nothing about a SW update to go with it (I still have pre-Nov 2015 SW and I like it that way).

spitfire said:
Just took mine in for an unspecified required service, and was informed about the bolt replacement recall. They will perform that but mentioned nothing about a SW update to go with it (I still have pre-Nov 2015 SW and I like it that way).

Don't be surprised when it comes back with an update.

imolazhp said:
spitfire said:

Don't be surprised when it comes back with an update.

The service rep did mention that it went through 'programming' which I take to mean a software update, but that isn't mentioned on the service record. How can I know it was updated?

spitfire said:
How can I know it was updated?
Export your profile to a USB memory stick and open the profile file on the memory stick in a text editor on your computer. The version of your car's firmware is part of the profile data. The version number includes the version date which should clarify whether your firmware was updated recently.

I just got mine back from the dealer. I took it in for an oil change in the Rex unit, and an A/C problem. They kept it for 5 days, did the software update and changed out the motor mount bolts, and of course, un-did all of my lovely "Code my car" coding. Sigh..I'll have to get Okee to recode me... I did get an I3 service loaner...it was a 2016, and I did notice some "de-contenting" had taken place.

No more wrist rest for the Idrive controller, no forward map/stuff net between the passenger/driver footwells. But, the car did have the H-K sound system, and the leather interior that mine doesn't have. I didn't think the sound system sounded a whole lot better than my stock non H-K system...

drhardee said:
I just got mine back from the dealer. I took it in for an oil change in the Rex unit, and an A/C problem. They kept it for 5 days, did the software update and changed out the motor mount bolts, and of course, un-did all of my lovely "Code my car" coding. Sigh..I'll have to get Okee to recode me... I did get an I3 service loaner...it was a 2016, and I did notice some "de-contenting" had taken place.

No more wrist rest for the Idrive controller, no forward map/stuff net between the passenger/driver footwells. But, the car did have the H-K sound system, and the leather interior that mine doesn't have. I didn't think the sound system sounded a whole lot better than my stock non H-K system...

Those changes took place in early 2015.

Back