bwilson4web

Getting unhappy with fuel cover

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi,

It has become a permanent situation: park by pump; push flap button; test flap which does not open; open trunk; pull weasel manual release, and; refuel. I am seriously thinking about defeating the 'lock' so it might work like the flap over the plug-in socket.

Any recent work in this area?

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

alohart

Re: Getting unhappy with fuel cover

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 pm

I have read about quite a few REx owners who have had warranty repairs made to correct a problem that prevents the fuel door from opening as it should. I don't know whether improved or identical parts are replaced in the repair. If the same parts are replaced, the same (expensive) repair is likely in the future after the warranty has expired. Maybe a REx owner who knows such detail will reply.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

busaman

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 pm

bwilson4web wrote:Hi,

It has become a permanent situation: park by pump; push flap button; test flap which does not open; open trunk; pull weasel manual release, and; refuel. I am seriously thinking about defeating the 'lock' so it might work like the flap over the plug-in socket.

Any recent work in this area?

Bob Wilson
i had the same problem with mine you have to remove the lock but leave it connected (elctrically ) or it will throw up a warning..
or get BMW to fix it..
7.31s@203.3mph on one wheel

bwilson4web

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:04 am

Thank you! Excellent solution.

I have to take the car in for the fuel vent chaffing problem so I'll bring it up then. But if it reverts, the lock gets relocated where it can no longer do any harm.

Bob Wilson

jadnashuanh

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:54 am

Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means that before you can open the filler, it must depressurize to be safe. That includes some sensors and a vent, which, if not all working properly, will not send the signal to the latch so you can open the thing. What really needs to be done is to determine why it is not opening, otherwise, it is potentially unsafe to open it prior to it releasing the pressure on its own. Luckily, my use pattern did not suggest the need for the REx, so I don't have any of those related issues. They may crop up in the i5, if that looks to become the replacement for my two cars, whenever it shows up.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

busaman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:11 am

jadnashuanh wrote:Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means that before you can open the filler, it must depressurize to be safe. That includes some sensors and a vent, which, if not all working properly, will not send the signal to the latch so you can open the thing. What really needs to be done is to determine why it is not opening, otherwise, it is potentially unsafe to open it prior to it releasing the pressure on its own. Luckily, my use pattern did not suggest the need for the REx, so I don't have any of those related issues. They may crop up in the i5, if that looks to become the replacement for my two cars, whenever it shows up.
ive tried that also it makes no difference if you leave the cap off.. the pressure in the tank is no different to any other car its only sealed for the emissions/fumes/stop all the gas(butane co petrol is now so low octane they have to boost it ) in the fuel from evaporating. i dont know why they bothered really unless it a safety thing where you have over filled the tank..

bwilson4web

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:55 am

jadnashuanh wrote:Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means. . .
Our Prius are notorious for throwing a code if the fuel tank cap is not on or leaking. I never had that problem but over in PriusChat we can find others who suffered the problem.

The rumor is CARB required a pressurized tank. Regardless, the manual override, that thin green pull line does not inspire confidence. Especially because I don't feel a distinct change when the flap is unlocked.

Bob Wilson

busaman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 am

bwilson4web wrote:
jadnashuanh wrote:Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means. . .
Our Prius are notorious for throwing a code if the fuel tank cap is not on or leaking. I never had that problem but over in PriusChat we can find others who suffered the problem.

The rumor is CARB required a pressurized tank. Regardless, the manual override, that thin green pull line does not inspire confidence. Especially because I don't feel a distinct change when the flap is unlocked.

Bob Wilson

possibly but its not pressureised as such wit a pump or air it doesnt thow any faults after you hav filled it and there is no pressure then...

tom10422

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 pm

I had a big problem with the fuel door starting last Thanksgiving and finally in February the service center fixed the issue. It would stop at a random ready to fuel at percent. The fix - my pressure sensor needed recalibration. Worked fine after that, although I have only refilled once since then.

kallisti5

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am

Just got this fixed under warranty. The fuel tank pressure sensor has corrosion issues with us fuel. Causes tank to randomly not open due to invalid pressure readings.

In later sensors the wires are gold plated to prevent the corrosion issues re-occurrence.

Get it fixed under warranty while you can. The 2015's are getting close to being out of warranty.

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”