60Ah Battery v 94Ah Battery i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeko01

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a BMW I3 but don't think I can afford the new version.

Planning to drive weekly between Glasgow and Newcastle, journey is 160 Mile and I am curious to know if you think a 60Ah vehicle with Range Extender is capable of making this journey?

By the looks of it the 94Ah plus Range Extender can make this journey.

Can you kindly let me know your views on this!?

Many thanks
Derek

Hello Derek - I frequently make the 220km drive to my cottage with my 2014 i3 Rex (though not weekly). While I often hear the car referred to as a city car - I believe the Rex is well suited to the type of use you're planning for. Longer trips, however, requiring frequent fuelling stops I would certainly not enjoy. Having said this- my confidence with the reliability of the Rex is currently at a low after receiving a major error message "drive train malfunction" and being without the car for what is now week 4 (and still counting with no firm end date given). I do have to admit that this situation is likely exaggerated here in Canada as BMW apparently doesn't stock i3 replacement parts in North America! Most of this time the car has been up on a hoist waiting for the arrival of parts (I drove the car for the first week without the use of the Rex while waiting for the first batch of parts to arrive).

Sorry for venting - when it's drivable it's a great car.

Hello Bolton,

Thanks for your reply and sorry to hear of the issues you are having with the vehicle, I am pleased however to hear about the range you have enjoyed previously in the i3.

Hope you manage to get it back on the road soon!

Any other points of view from anyone would be welcome.

All the best
Derek

In the winter you'll probably get 100-130 miles from battery and fuel depending on temperature so one refuel stop or one CCS recharge will probably get you there. In the Summer you may make it in one go. If you have a charge point at your arrival you will probably be OK.

Since you'll already have the State of Charge hold built in I don't see any reason why this trip wouldn't be possible. As stated by another you'll probably have to stop to fill up in the winter.

I just got back from driving from Phoenix Arizona to Corona California which was a little over 400 miles 1 way. I reprogrammed my car so I can hold state of charge. There are shorter routes but the REX can not keep up if you're driving over 70mph so I opted for the extra 40 miles to avoid the interstates which here in Arizona are a 75mph limit and you're pretty much expected to drive at least 80-85mph.

On the way to California I didn't stop for any charges but on the way back I found public charging in California pretty reliable so I fast charged a couple of times avoiding using the REX until the fast charger locations ended.

Back