Do you use gas with ethanol ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theothertom

I rarely use the REx on my car so I'm a little concerned about using gas with ethanol. Should I be concerned about this ? What type gas do you guys use ? Any recommendations for fuel stabilizer ?

theothertom said:
I rarely use the REx on my car so I'm a little concerned about using gas with ethanol. Should I be concerned about this ? What type gas do you guys use ? Any recommendations for fuel stabilizer ?
Burn some of it up every 59 days.

Bob Wilson

I burn premium in the i3, and all my small engines like my mower, power washer, and chainsaw. I've heard it's better for small engines. Someone posted something a while back about having issues using premium fuel in the i3 in Colorado, I think the REx was backfiring if I remember correctly.

I always try to avoid fuel with ethanol. Most engines don't like it unless they are designed for it. I think it stinks when it burns too. Besides, corn should be used for food not fuel, but that's a whole different topic.

In many states, you have no choice to use gasoline with ethanol in it...all automotive engines in the USA built for the last couple of decades have been designed for use with it. Yes, fuel without it has more energy than gas with ethanol, but I think that the sealed, pressurized fuel system in the i3 helps prevent problems when it is used. IMHO, if your gasoline gets old enough to be a problem in your REx, you probably didn't need the REx in the first place! If you're worried, run your battery down far enough to engage the REx, and use up the gas and then replace it. The car will start the REx periodically, but not use all of it up, so you must make an effort to do that.

Coincidentally , I just filled up for the first time since my purchase Sept. last year . It took just over an imperial gallon for about a half tank to bring it up to full . Regarding ethanol , my understanding is that is has a shorter shelf life . It can be worth the effort to search out ethanol-free gas . For me , that choice meant Premium fuel which I'm fine with . Many of us with the 60Ah battery type prefer having the Rex . Should we arrive at a charge station to find it OoO we could possibly get to a different station using the Rex . Or , if climbing ends up using even more % charge than expected it's good to have a backup . My 3c

The REx has its place. It's just that most people that buy it find that they never use it. The only way to buy fuel without ethanol in the state I live in is to get some only available for use in off-road devices (boats, tractors, snowmobiles, etc.). Legally, selling it for on-road use is illegal since it is not taxed by either the feds or the state - it's not sold in normal gas stations. It often costs 2x as much, too! It all depends on where you live and whether you are in a CARB state or not. I'd rather have 'real' 100% gasoline, but alas, not available here, regular or premium.

Back