Rex MPG?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickp

Wondering what mpg is everyone getting? Last road trip I averaged around 40 mpg but the weather was nice so didn't have to heat or cool. What do yo guys get and what recommendations do you have to get the best mpg?

To get the best mileage from any car it mostly about how you drive. I have my dash set to show me instant miles per kwh so I can see when I need to lay off the pedal. I try to regen as much as i can on the way down so i never have to use the brakes other than to hold the car or stop for something that i hadn't planned on.

I also inflate the tires (tyres) to 45psi. Sidewalls say 51 psi max.. and some people boost it to that. that will give you some low rolling resistance but to be frank, most of the saves come from the type of roads, type of driving you do. I don't have a rex so I don't know if you can put in some nice synthetic low resistance oil into the motor or putting in ethanol free gasoline (petrol) will help. I used to have a Honda Insight.. the 00s version and always put in ethanol free gas.

- driving style
- speed
- tires and pressures
- heater not on
- hundreds of other little things.

that's all I've got to offer from the top of my head.

This is extremely anecdotal, and involved climbing up a fairly steep hill.... I burned a little over 1/4 Gallon of gas (1.3L to be exact), and traveled about 8-9 miles with that. If we multiply 1.3L by the amount to reach one gallon (2.91), and the distance traveled by the same amount, I got about 26MPG. FWIW, the official EPA MPG estimate is 39 MPG for combined city/highway driving on the REx. One of these days I'll actually use the REx for something useful, rather than to just bring the engine up to temperature and burn off all my old gas, and will report back.

So unlike most other cars , where the Highway and city numbers are published separately , the i3 rex, at least in US is missing these numbers. it just says 35 miles/gallon for 2017 afterwards and 39 before 2016
if someone has these numbers form other countries, please share ???

Since the rex is so different, these numbers are even more interesting individually.
i think highway will be much less and city , much more than the average number

EVMan said:
So unlike most other cars , where the Highway and city numbers are published separately , the i3 rex, at least in US is missing these numbers. it just says 35 miles/gallon for 2017 afterwards and 39 before 2016
if someone has these numbers form other countries, please share ???

Since the rex is so different, these numbers are even more interesting individually.
i think highway will be much less and city , much more than the average number

I wonder what changed that the newer Rex is 4 mpg less?

Oh NVM. Battery weight I guess?

I think that the newer version of the REx can run a little faster to produce a slight bit more power which is the reason why it burns more fuel.

Just like driving an ICE, the more you stress the car, the faster the REx will need to run to try to replenish/maintain the battery SOC. It's not as much related to stop and go like in an ICE where the RPMs are changing all of the time, since the computer sets some fixed levels, and thus, it doesn't vary constantly. In the case of the REx, running the heater on high, high beam headlights, wipers, seat heaters, rear window defogger all create a direct electrical load, and could cause the REx to need to run even if you're not flying down the highway.

I dont think wight difference is that much.
It may be due to rex being under powerd , when started at 6.5% to sustain, as in USA

But its interesting , how the 2016 rex passed the test, being under powered.

The press release says the REx won't be available in Europe...it still will be here in the USA. This September, 2018, the Euro emissions tightened...the US rules, if anything, if the administration has its say, will stay the same, and not get more stringent, so the REx still meets the regulations, and thus, can be sold here. SO, any new Euro vehicles made after that implementation date must meet the new rules. Existing stock can be sold, but none made after that date, at least for sale in the Euro zone.

It's my understanding that the REx in the latest implementation has a few more horsepower. To get that, it runs a bit faster. That's why it uses more fuel. The slight increase in weight will have an effect, but a generic rule of thumb is about 0.1mpg/100#, so with the heavier battery, at most a quarter of a MPG or so.

Back