joeblow

New to me 15' REX Certified Pre Owned no start REX?

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:13 pm

So we found the options, color etc car we wanted but had to buy it out of state and ship it. It is a Panda REX with 14K miles and is Certified Pre Owned. Well I coded the car right after getting it to enable the SOC and the full tank capacity among a few other minor items. I did this before I had ever had the REX fire up. So my wife drove last night and got below 7% and the REX never fired up and she ran to zero just as she pulled into our garage. She got and error stating to go to a service station with the yellow triangle with explanation point. So this AM (I am out of town) I asked her to drive the car a short war and enable the SOC function. The car was only charged to 65% so the SOC should have worked. Well it did not and again she got the yellow triangle and explanation point.

So any thoughts? Could the coding have caused the issue? I would assume that the Certified Pre Owned process would have checked the REX? BTW she did not lose lights or anything and the small battery was still fully charged. She did not hear any starting attempts at all.

CharonPDX

Re: New to me 15' REX Certified Pre Owned no start REX?

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:45 pm

I'd say undo the coding (just to make sure,) and take it in. Something's definitely wrong.

MKH
Gold Member

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Have you tried a manual start of the Rex? If you look online, there is a procedure for test- starting the Rex to run emissions testing on the car if required by State inspection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUOvjzGbjU
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

joeblow

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks I will have my Wife give it a shot.

i3Houston

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:15 pm

My 2015 i3 has ~21K mile and only 350 miles on rex but couple weeks ago it failed to start so its at the shop. Emission test turned on the rex so not sure what happened.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

MKH
Gold Member

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 am

couple weeks ago it failed to start
Just curious - was the Rex doing, or attempting to do, it's regular (every eight weeks) automatic 10 minute test-run?
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

TheMK

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Do you have a 'check engine' light? If so, grab an OBDII scanner and see if there's any codes that pop up. Now, that won't tell the whole story, you'll need ISTA to get an in depth diagnosis, but you'll at least have some place to start. I had problems with misfiring when cold while starting my REx, after changing the fuel type (lower octane, but also from a different supplier), the problem went away.

PBNB

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:36 pm

TheMK wrote:after changing the fuel type (lower octane, but also from a different supplier), the problem went away.
I went the other way and have been running 94 octane ethanol free petrol.

I have several small generators and have used this method for years. It seems that the ethanol blend gums up the fuel system at least on these little engines. I believe this occurs when the fuel sits in the system for a while.

Starting the Rex more often can keep the fuel moving and prevent buildup. I am sure that there are additives that can help as well but BMW would have to be okay with using an additive if there is a warranty to maintain. I run my Rex every other day for 20 min intervals to keep the fuel moving.

This is just my take on possibly preventing fuel system issues. I am interested to hear what others are doing to keep the Rex running smoothly.
2015 i3 REX

TheMK

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 pm

PBNB wrote:
TheMK wrote:after changing the fuel type (lower octane, but also from a different supplier), the problem went away.
I went the other way and have been running 94 octane ethanol free petrol.

I have several small generators and have used this method for years. It seems that the ethanol blend gums up the fuel system at least on these little engines. I believe this occurs when the fuel sits in the system for a while.

Starting the Rex more often can keep the fuel moving and prevent buildup. I am sure that there are additives that can help as well but BMW would have to be okay with using an additive if there is a warranty to maintain. I run my Rex every other day for 20 min intervals to keep the fuel moving.

This is just my take on possibly preventing fuel system issues. I am interested to hear what others are doing to keep the Rex running smoothly.
I agree that ethanol free is the right choice. Around here "normal" unleaded is 85 octane!! I went from 91 to 88. 88 octane is technically below the spec recommended for the fuel (89AKI minimum, 91 recommended), but it runs fine still, and there doesn't seem to be a loss of power. When things warm up I'll be going back to 91 octane. I don't know how it is in Canada, but around here finding ethanol free is somewhat sporadic, and usually they don't have 91 octane. I'm lucky that driving down to the fuel distribution company's public pumps isn't too hard. They also have VP 110 octane (contains lead!) race fuel on pump, but I'm not brave enough to try that with the REx.

jadnashuanh

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:09 pm

Don't use leaded gasoline in an engine designed for unleaded! If you do, you should consider two things: an additive such as Dekalin Runup Fuel Additive and halve your oil change interval. Leaded fuel and a full-synthetic engine oil do not go together well. The lead creates sludge, so that would void the BMW warranty. Deviating from manufacturer's recommendations can have some ramifications.

The octane requirements will vary some by the average altitude where you live. IF the average around where you live, my guess is that you're up at altitude, probably at least 3Kft or more.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”