Rex Range seems unusually high

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBNB

Today, I took the i3 downtown and when I got into the car, the range for the gas was 130 kms (80 miles). Later on on my way home, I noticed the range jumped up to 143 kms (88 miles).

The electric range is sitting at 130 kms (80 miles) fully charged.

This is the first time that I can recall, the gas range being higher than the electric range.

I have coded the extended tank several months ago so I am familiar with the increased gas range.

Does this seem consistent with what others are getting from the guess-o-meter?

The REx range on a full fill up (9L or 2.3x US Gallons), sits between 70-95 for me, depending on whether or not the heater was on, and how I was driving. I guess we've had different experiences, because I've felt like the REx range was always longer than the battery range?? Side note, the maximum I've ever driven in between charges without using the REx is only 70mi.

The range always varies based on your previous uses and current conditions. I don't have a REx, but I can say on the EV side, I've driven as much as 15-miles, and had the estimated EV range rise from when I started.

I've had mine read as high as 100 miles! And that was before coding to increase it.

n1T83rE.jpg

PBNB said:
Wow 100 miles on the GOM! That sure would take care of any range anxiety!

Yeah, zero chance of ever actually getting that many miles out of it. I did manage to eke about ~80 miles out of the REx (after coding to enlarge) on a drive from Portland to Seattle, though. (in ECO PRO +, drafting behind a semi doing 55-65 the whole time.) That was with hold SOC enabled the instant the battery hit 75%, until the REx stopped running - and the battery was at 73.5%. (I DC quick charged to 85% and filled with gas at one stop, then got on the freeway, enabled hold SOC at 75%, and noted my location and charge when REx shut down, I forgot to note location when I clicked REx on, so I'm guessing the distance on REx-only, the total distance from gas station to REx shutdown was 93 miles. So 93 miles on REx+11.5% battery.)

After a road trip, I see it as high as 105mi on the Rex. It slowly readjusts to the 80mi range over few city drives

Unlike most other cars ( specially hybrids) , i do not understand why the city and highway numbers are NOT listed separately for the rex
Based on the design, that the engine runs on mostly optimized rpm, so i think the city mileage of rex will be much higher than other cars and freeway mileage much less . Basically the difference between city and highway will be much more than typical other cars.

REx is purely adding energy to the battery pack, the little gas engine is no more or less efficient based on your driving style, unlike basically every other hybrid and plug-in hybrid. Your efficiency "city" versus "highway" is based on the electric motor. As far as the car is concerned, the REx is more akin to having a second tank of gas in a gasoline car. Your "efficiency" city vs highway has nothing to do with your second tank of gas, it's inherent to the car itself.

CharonPDX said:
REx is purely adding energy to the battery pack, the little gas engine is no more or less efficient based on your driving style, unlike basically every other hybrid and plug-in hybrid. Your efficiency "city" versus "highway" is based on the electric motor. As far as the car is concerned, the REx is more akin to having a second tank of gas in a gasoline car. Your "efficiency" city vs highway has nothing to do with your second tank of gas, it's inherent to the car itself.

This!

CharonPDX said:

You are talking about the supply side only and i said the same with supply side .
The reason the hybrid cars have lower boost of highway economy , compared to city boost numbers is not the supply side, but the consumption side - mainly wind resistance.
Assuming what i and you are saying is true, the supply side is constant, the highway numbers will be less due to Resistance

on the other hand, for city ,Hybrids do much better in city , due to better supply side and regeneration also helps.

SO end result is much better numbers on city compared to highway , as compared to gas cars.

Back