ex - Japan vehicles Australia - NZ navi change DIY?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicCarpet

I have the HU_H proffessional head unit NBT with NEXT mapping system, car imported used from Japan.

The BMW dealer says it is necessary to have BMW allocate the car VIN to the local country. This has been done by BMW.
The BMW dealer says it is necessary to get a 3rd party to spend a day and $650 with the car to be able to load local maps.
Others with similar Japan market imports have just purchased the map files and put them in via USB stick - lots of examples on Youtube. Done this with files purchased for my VIN.

Somewhere between these two extremes there must be some files or settings I need to complete in order to get the new maps working.
Or the files I have are incorrect. How to identify?
Much discussion with vendor about software version and country zones etc. but no answer why it wont work in my car but works in others.

Does anybody know the exact requirements for HU_H Prof. like:
is the country conversion different on prof. HU vs. the entry HU?
can I get manufacturers info for the HU? I'd like to consider fitting the DAB tuner or buying one from Europe
step by step, has anyone done this can it be acomplished with (a) files on USB like the vendors say "thats all is needed"
(b) E-sys parameter change i.e. "coding" - which items to code?
(c) PSdZ data swap required?
(d) ISTA+

The problem with posting on regular BMW sites is the answers are for F30 etc. the i3 doesnt have DVD drive and the like in the Navi system so these generic posts are not accurate.
Happy to share the changes I've done so far
Ralph

Hello,
Three years later? How did it go?
I'm probably in the same situation that you were back then. I thought that I'd done well, the system seems to be happily set to Australia, so at least I have a radio and the speech recognition, such as it isn't, is in English.

However, I'm no longer stuck in downtown Tokyo - my navigation menu item is greyed out and so far I can't convince it to go back to working. I can put a new map USB in, but can't enter an FSC key as I can't get a 1b key out of the car. Deep breath - where do I go from here?

Hi, 3 yrs on and got nowhere. Still check the various sites

I did download ISTA via Mega only the read part works so I cannot program or see what that section is capable of.

Probably easiest way is to buy a formatted DVD if one exists but again there is no way to discover the tools you need until you have the tools you need.

Did you "change the setup to Australia" by setting a new FO code via Esys?

That might tell the Navi that your map grid system is now Au/NZ format which is similar to UK format
But the actual map in the car is Japan format so it can't figure where to put you on the map

Mine has been VIN registered with BMW for NZ area they did this by OTA update so in theory I can buy things like map updates and other subscriptions for the car

In practice (and they told me) an Au/NZ map cannot be installed until I get the Navi NBT files changed. I'd rather do this myself as already dropped $50 to an online seller they clearly state the data file sold will change the country region system to work .... it doesnt even try to install or ask for the FSC key the permanent one I paid for

So today I'm treating it as a hobby would be good to hear from anyone who actually knows how this works

PS just changing the region codes in various Navi coding files does not have any effect
I didnt want to do a full FO due to fear of mucking up other vital systems.
My guess is that the full ISTA should have everything needed to change the Navi system its unclear whether Esys alone can do it
Items like the iDrive controller scroll wheel have Japan touchpad language there are probably other fittings different like the AC and DC charging connections which are different in Japan models it would be unfortunate to brick the car

Best luck

I have posted ISTA+ 4.10 on my Mega account and made it downloadable using this link: https://mega.nz/folder/iwUUlTTR#ZFtJJNFHWSYrPfcJENvILg I haven't used ISTA+ yet, so I don't know whether what I posted works, or even whether the download link is still valid. If you are unable to download it, let me know.

Hi man where u based in auckland i know how to change region and i don't mind come to you place and help u out.

re freedomgundam

Based outside of Auckland also there is jt5026 post seems we both have the similar questions

I really want to do this myself and already set up PC with Esys and partially ISTA and have purchased FSC code and the map data.

So would appreciate if you can post for both of us the software tools you use to do the map region change on an i3 HU Navi system,

and the steps you do to make the change. The car is already changed to NZ VIN region by BMW so I can buy map updates from them its just that nothing will load into the USB at moment - except music files work OK

MagicCarpet said:
re freedomgundam

Based outside of Auckland also there is jt5026 post seems we both have the similar questions

I really want to do this myself and already set up PC with Esys and partially ISTA and have purchased FSC code and the map data.

So would appreciate if you can post for both of us the software tools you use to do the map region change on an i3 HU Navi system,

and the steps you do to make the change. The car is already changed to NZ VIN region by BMW so I can buy map updates from them its just that nothing will load into the USB at moment - except music files work OK
where u located? i have the navi factory fsc to reactive u navi

I have the FSC code and jt5026 also has it

but that is not our problem.

in NAV menu on the display, when trying to insert the USB with the new map files, the USB heading is greyed out
it does not come alive when plugging in the USB, so the next step enter the FSC code is not appearing on screen.

ShaunSheridan posts on many Bimmer groups. The procedure required

From FA, remove asian language and country controller and replace with Europe/Sweden versions, flash and encode NBT, pull DE file from NBT, use for map FSC code

so I have
[178]6UO_LANGUAGE_VERSION_EUROPE

[1119]8LR_COUNTRY_CONTROL_10323 <<<<<<<< what code do I change 10323 to ?

[17]Type,[155]ECE

Back