Source London

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunter

Do Source London have any partners like CYC or Chargemaster/Polar Instant or do I have to get a dedicated card for Source London charge points?

Many thanks

Bill

Virtually all SourceLondon charge points are also on the ChargeNow (Polar) network. I've used more than 2 dozen charging points throughout London and that has been the case on all of them.

Same, here - I've found that CYC, Polarinstant, and Ecotricity cards have covered me between Bristol, Swindon and London. CYC points can generally be activated with an app on your phone too.

Source West scheme is covered by Polarinstant/Chargemaster and CYC in Bristol - CYC points are currently free - Polarinstant seem to be charging per use now PLUS parking costs.

I did also get a Plugged in Midlands (PIM) card for use in....the Midlands, this works with Ecotricity charge points and local PIM ones. However over the last few months they appear to be transitioning from a Podpoint backend (that needs a PIM card) to CYC, which works with a regular CYC card!

Not sure about Source East as it's too far away!

elptex said:
Never charged at the Excel Centre. I don't see any charge points listed there for Source London, ChargeNow/Polar, or CYC.

Exactly, but Zap-Map shows 18 type 2 chargers in the purple car park but Excel's own travel pages don't mention them either. I'm planning a trip and would really like confirmation of these chargers. Think I'll try ringing Excel.

Cheers

Bill

Source London keep writing to me to tell me that new supplier has taken over. However they will honour the old cards for a bit. Then they'll write again. I forget the date.

Here's my set. Just missing source west as they get CYC to issue for free and I had already paid CYC. £10 or was it £20. So here is a tip. If you want a CYC card you can get it for free by applying for a source west card from Bristol Council. You don't have to live in Bristol. ;-)

That photo is a good example of what has gone wrong with electric charging. Compare that to petrol where to access a refill point all you need is a bank card issued to you free of charge from your bank! Why all this RFID nonsense?

My guess is they are either cheaper than chip and pin / contactless, or more likely, they allow you to track users behaviour so you can report back to OLEV. IData protection laws prevent you using a bank card to build a profile of a customer - they are to be used purely for payment (in DP speak the data has to be used for the purpose of which it was intended), hence why supermarkets etc have loyalty cards which come woth the usual we will collect data and use it to mail you offers we think will interest you. The RFID card potentially does both, reducing transaction costs to 1 actual direct debit to the bankonce per month for whatever kWh you took, plus the ability to track your usage on the network. However they forgot to think about the customer experience. Have a minimum 4 card to sign up for yearly is a ball ache, and frankly has to change. If you go on holiday or business trip to a new region you're likely to need to sign up to yet another network. And may still find you dont have all the cards required. Ridiculous.

nowtta60 said:
That photo is a good example of what has gone wrong with electric charging. Compare that to petrol where to access a refill point all you need is a bank card issued to you free of charge from your bank! Why all this RFID nonsense?

My guess is they are either cheaper than chip and pin / contactless, or more likely, they allow you to track users behaviour so you can report back to OLEV. IData protection laws prevent you using a bank card to build a profile of a customer - they are to be used purely for payment (in DP speak the data has to be used for the purpose of which it was intended), hence why supermarkets etc have loyalty cards which come woth the usual we will collect data and use it to mail you offers we think will interest you. The RFID card potentially does both, reducing transaction costs to 1 actual direct debit to the bankonce per month for whatever kWh you took, plus the ability to track your usage on the network. However they forgot to think about the customer experience. Have a minimum 4 card to sign up for yearly is a ball ache, and frankly has to change. If you go on holiday or business trip to a new region you're likely to need to sign up to yet another network. And may still find you dont have all the cards required. Ridiculous.

Agreed with that post.... :roll:

In the quantities involved they're likely to be more expensive than bank cards. As you suggest I think it was an OLEV condition on the initial pilot schemes from which the present system evolved that required data on usage, type of car etc.

Back